• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

? Bluebirds (1 Viewer)

deborahp

I've never seen these before, the pair was here briefly this morning, then left. Seen through binoculars, both have dove grey heads, blue wings, and rufous breasts.

The grey heads + solid blue wings don't exactly match either male or female Eastern Bluebird in Sibley's or Peterson's eastern guides, but is somewhat similar to the female in National Geographic. These birds have much darker wings than the illustration, though. Can someone clarify, please ?

Attachments

• Bluebird 051008 01.jpg
    Bluebird 051008 01.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Bluebird 051008 02.jpg
    Bluebird 051008 02.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 108
A couple of lovely eastern bluebirds! I used to see lots of them when I went to school in north-central Missouri, but I've seen only two or three since I moved to Ithaca this summer. A gorgeous bird.

Larry Lade said:
A couple of Eastern Bluebirds. (And the state bird of Missouri.)

LOL, and in fifteen years here I've never seen one! After doing more research on them, I see by the distribution maps that they're very common here, moreso than most anywhere else. I guess I should have invested in binoculars - and maybe some nesting boxes for them - a long time ago. Thanks everyone. :t:

deborahp said:
LOL, and in fifteen years here I've never seen one! After doing more research on them, I see by the distribution maps that they're very common here, moreso than most anywhere else. I guess I should have invested in binoculars - and maybe some nesting boxes for them - a long time ago. Thanks everyone. :t:
You may want to invest in some binoculars and perhaps a birder's field guide. There are several good guides available in most of our book stores on birds of North America, (Peterson's, National Geographic, The Golden Book of NA Birds, etc.) These can really make birding much more enjoyable.

Just wait until you see the male Painted Bunting in breeding plumage! You will be "hooked" for sure! It is a bird which is found in your area in southwest Missouri.

Good Birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back