• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluethroats Extremadura Spain (1 Viewer)

I'm going to Extremadura in mid April. Any tips on where I might see bluethroats and great spotted cuckoo?

When I was in extremadura a few aprils back people suggested you needed to go the gredos mountains for bluethroat (not especially far but don’t know exactly how true it was)

Didn’t see gsc in 5 days there but I’m sure they’re there.

Yes, a couple of years back I saw bluethroats singing on the back roads from the Gredos Parador to Avila. However, I will be a bit further west in April Maybe see some near Ciudad Rodrigo as it's pretty mountainous there.

I think that there aren't high mountains in Ciudad Rodrigo. In the same province of Salamanca, there are Bluethroats in the sierra of Béjar-Candelario, occupying broom patches at high altitude, better from the second half of april.
In Extremadura, Greater Spotted Cuckoo is posible anywhere. It's a good idea to learn the call.

I'm going to Extremadura in mid April. Any tips on where I might see bluethroats and great spotted cuckoo?
I had some incredible Bluethroat views, maybe 4 or 5 birds in late May last year. I parked at Plataforma de Gredos and then walked on the path up to lagunas (easy walking, signposted). Birds were at about ~2100m elevation and very active in the morning.

Picture attached from the same trip

It's a really special place. Do feel free to ask any more Qs. Can't help with the GSC, but think they generally can pop up anywhere.

We did look pretty extensively in Extremadura in a few spots but bluethroats were only in Gredos for us.

Attachments

• DSC02236.jpg
    DSC02236.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 12
I had some incredible Bluethroat views, maybe 4 or 5 birds in late May last year. I parked at Plataforma de Gredos and then walked on the path up to lagunas (easy walking, signposted). Birds were at about ~2100m elevation and very active in the morning.

Picture attached from the same trip

It's a really special place. Do feel free to ask any more Qs. Can't help with the GSC, but think they generally can pop up anywhere.

We did look pretty extensively in Extremadura in a few spots but bluethroats were only in Gredos for us.
Beautiful photo. Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back