• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extremadura Spain (1 Viewer)

Irvo52

Scotland
I'm off to Extremadura for a few weeks at the end of April. Can anyone suggest some reasonably good areas for black-shouldered kite, great bustard and, outside chance of bluethroat?

Great bustard is the easiest. We saw them daily from our base just northwest of Trujillo (a few km nw. Could still see castle clearly). Sorry I can’t remember the name but it’s as a case of driving around and scanning fields anyway but I’ll try and dig out a reference. Also had them around the long road with roller boxes that I think is quite a famous birding location. I’ll try and find my trip report for the name

Didn’t have the other two I’m afraid

Great bustard is the easiest. We saw them daily from our base just northwest of Trujillo (a few km nw. Could still see castle clearly). Sorry I can’t remember the name but it’s as a case of driving around and scanning fields anyway.

Didn’t have the other two I’m afraid
Cool. I have a few days in Trujillo.

There used to be a brilliant guide book for Extramedura, written by John Muddeman that gave reasonably detailed instructions on finding various species.

The Kite - I think we saw them fairly easily on the road between Trujillo to Monroy

I am after Great Bustard too, will be going in November. Would you recommend any particular time of the day to try to see them? I am hoping to get Stone Curlew too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back