• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluetit - Him or Her? (1 Viewer)

ThomasW

United Kingdom
Hi folks, sorry it's been a while a since I last visited.
Again on the subject of our "lodger". For a couple of years they haven't shown much interest but just before Christmas, and strangley enough after the very cold snap, it arrived. It's been spending each night with us since then.
Now I understand they aren't easy to differentiate, it being mainly the depth of the blue cap, but would anyone hazard a guess as to whether this little chap is male or female?

Tnx.

Attachments

• x_20230106093328_1.jpg
    x_20230106093328_1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 14
I've not heard of depth of cap being a distinguishing feature. Females sometimes appear slightly greener and less blue, but whilst that is a reasonably good indicator if you see a pair together as to which is which, it's not 100% reliable.

I've not heard of depth of cap being a distinguishing feature. Females sometimes appear slightly greener and less blue, but whilst that is a reasonably good indicator if you see a pair together as to which is which, it's not 100% reliable.
When I said "depth of blue cap" I assumed it would be taken as meaning the intensity of the blue colour. Males being a darker blue.

When I said "depth of blue cap" I assumed it would be taken as meaning the intensity of the blue colour. Males being a darker blue.

Ah - sorry I thought you meant depth as in extent. I find the colour differences difficult to judge in person - I really don't think you stand a chance from a nestcam picture, but matbe someone else can.

Collins says that the blue cap on males is usually a deeper shade with the females being slightly duller overall. I would go for a male in the grab.

Collins says that the blue cap on males is usually a deeper shade with the females being slightly duller overall. I would go for a male in the grab.
Experience, as litle as it is, has shown me that judging the depth of colour when looking at a single bird is extremely difficult. Even when two are seen in daylight it's still not so easy, so in nest box light I know it can only be a guess.
Taking this and other images together, on balance, I'd probably agree on Male though I've yet to see any Bluetit that accurately measures up to the pictures usually shown in the media.

Hopefully, when nesting time comes round, a pair will return as in the past & I can get images together.

Side by side images knowing which was which would be interesting. I think the range of colour variation between individuals is quite marked so with some pairs it will be more obvious than others.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back