• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blunt-nosed Viper (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Ok so tonight I got home from the pub having watched football to hear the sound of a dog, barking furiously from one of the houses below us. I'd never heard this before and then my wife came running to say that she'd heard a woman shouting about a massive Viper in the garden.

First to say that my wife was already paranoid having witnessed a pobable Whip Snake in our garden so she was really alarmed that a neighbour had a Viper in theirs . Long story short short, I dashed down there some 300m away and sure enough. a very large Viper was curled in the corner of their garden. The man of the house arrived with is pal and his shotgun, two shots were fired but no dead snake was discovered ((y))

As in many places with poisonous snakes, panic ensues when one is found and try as I may, I could not stop this silly Philippino girl from trying to hit it with a pool net. I can understand it to a point, having a toddler, I wouldn't really want one in my garden either tbf but as a wildlife enthusiast, I am conflicted.

Anyway, despite their Philippino housemaid upsetting the animal, I was blamed for scaring it away and now have a Cypriot vendetta to contend with! The guy is a local bar owner but his Guinness is shit so doubt we'll cross again but, if I do stop posting, check the Cypriot press for any shot Brits.

I have now seen Blunt-nosed Viper, that's all that mtters, I'm old and fooked so someone should propbably shoot me anyway.

Last edited:
I remember you've endured an Adder bite so you certainly have the right to judge the survival of venomous snakes within your parish.

I hope you explained to the nitwit Filipino that annoying them is generally not wise....

John

I remember you've endured an Adder bite so you certainly have the right to judge the survival of venomous snakes within your parish.

I hope you explained to the nitwit Filipino that annoying them is generally not wise....

John
She was in no rational state to receive my wisdom, I'd have tried to get it in to the large pool net they had and just relocate but their heads had gone completely. I attach a very poor shot as it appeared to be considering going up the tree. You can see from the bulk of it on that tree that it was at the large end of the scale for the species.

Attachments

• 1653856024775.jpg
    1653856024775.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 44
A nice development tonight, my snake infested neighbour stopped his car as I walked home tonight and apologised for his behaviour. After I explained that I was a World renowned snake expert, he admitted that his entire household had been gripped by panic. He was also very keen to preserve his reputation (as what I don't know) and showed me pictures of the animal from three days later. It was 4m up a conifer tree and he was able to call an expert, local group to recover it and release it safely.

Everyone is happy, most importantly, the snake.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back