• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BN 8x32's back (1 Viewer)

Glad you still use your BNs and keep them in excellent condition. I imagine your teaspoon and vintage dolls are also minty...
I wrote doilies, not dolls.
What, do you think I'm some kind of weirdo? :unsure:

For my part, I really don't collect anything. It's just stuff. The exception being my collection of one 8x32BN. That stays with me.

I wrote doilies, not dolls.

For my part, I really don't collect anything. It's just stuff. The exception being my collection of one 8x32BN. That stays with me.
You could be a girlie man , or gender fluid where you like dolls on odd days and firearms on the even days depending on fluidity 😳🤷🏼‍♀️✌🏼

And keeping with the thread, BN use on weekends.

Transmission values we have measured:
Leica Ultravid HD-plus 8x32 (2016) :
500 nm= 86,8%
550 nm= 89,2%
Leica Trinovid 8x32BN (2001):
500nm= 75,2%
550nm= 77,4%
I would have expected a 15% improvement in transmission to seem more obvious and beneficial than it did to me. This continues to puzzle me, as does the exact nature of the change in colors and/or contrast -- in this thread we have "less warm" and "more contrast and saturation", along with my own impression (several years ago) of showing subtle color differences better. (Not to mention in which iteration this happened -- Mac suggests Plus? -- which I wasn't following at all.)

I would have expected a 15% improvement in transmission to seem more obvious and beneficial than it did to me. This continues to puzzle me, as does the exact nature of the change in colors and/or contrast -- in this thread we have "less warm" and "more contrast and saturation", along with my own impression (several years ago) of showing subtle color differences better. (Not to mention in which iteration this happened -- Mac suggests Plus? -- which I wasn't following at all.)

I agree, when doing a comparison like this, trying to see a 15% difference in anything is not evident.
Leica has changed things little in the optical design over the years from the BA to UV HD+. Some coatings
changes do brighten things up a bit, but normally obvious only when doing a direct comparison.
Jerry

\I wrote doilies, not dolls.

I'm not judging. I do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national, social or ethnic origin, age, marital status, military or veteran status, disability, pregnancy, union membership, political affliation, alpha brand preference, or fondness for dolls, be it Mickey, Mini, or TeleTubbies. :)

While I do have other collections, when it comes to bins, there will be only one small compartment in my sarcophagus, and that is reserved for my 8x32 SE, which like your BN is minty fresh. I have to give Paul credit for that since I bought it from him.

I had the SEs out in the backyard late this afternoon, and though the sun was starting to go down, I spotted two starling chicks peeking out under my neighbor's roof about 200 feet away waiting for their mom to return with insects. Here they are.

Brock

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 6.56.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 6.56.02 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
…when folks talk about comparing the 8x32 BN to the 8x32 Ultravid, it behooves us to specify which iteration of the Ultravid we're talking about; Gen 1 (BR), Gen 2 (HD), Gen 3 (HD+). The view changed with the introduction of different prisims in the HD+. The original BR was almost indistinguishable from the BN view wise. I just happened to like the size and accessories of the BR better.
Good points and for clarification, when comparing the two, I have a 145xxxx BN and my Ultravid is an HD+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back