• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BOP - Puntarenas, Costa Rica, Apr 2024 (1 Viewer)

Cormac

The darker photo is the original and the other is a poor attempt at editing the photo.
Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCN6224.JPG
    DSCN6224.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN6224LL.jpg
    DSCN6224LL.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 32
I'd lean towards Double-toothed Kite. The large eye with a bit of a pale eye ring, the sort of large, cylindrical (I've heard it called "can shaped") head, shorter legs, perhaps a hint of rufous from the breast visible...

Crane Hawk to my eye has a smaller eye and a smaller head. The photo is not amazing and from behind but the leg length also looks short to me.

In addition to the things pbjosh mentioned, the very thin white stripe on the tail looks much better for double-toothed kite than for crane hawk. First photo here is from the same angle, note in addition to the very thing tail stripe: the pouffe of white feathers at the top of the legs, hint of rufous at the breast/shoulder, bits of white (rump feathers? inner portions of primaries?) peeking out from behind the wings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back