• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Box Tree Moth (3 Viewers)

My advice would be to terminate any you see, along with their caterpillars. Once taken hold in an area they are virtually impossible to get rid of. They cause DEVASTATION !!

:(:(:(:(

My advice would be to terminate any you see, along with their caterpillars. Once taken hold in an area they are virtually impossible to get rid of. They cause DEVASTATION !!

:(:(:(:(
Can't be done, the time for that is long past. Get over it. I saw my first one only about four years ago and now I get dozens a year - and I couldn't tell you where my nearest Box is (or was).

John

Can't be done, the time for that is long past. Get over it. I saw my first one only about four years ago and now I get dozens a year - and I couldn't tell you where my nearest Box is (or was).

John
I've had the experience John, long gone is my ex-beautiful box tree hedge, all dug up and destroyed. I spent a few years hand picking thousands of box tree caterpillars off it before I woke up and decided it was a lost cause, a total waste of time as you never get them all. Chemicals, I've tried a few but they don't work either.

I've had the experience John, long gone is my ex-beautiful box tree hedge, all dug up and destroyed. I spent a few years hand picking thousands of box tree caterpillars off it before I woke up and decided it was a lost cause, a total waste of time as you never get them all. Chemicals, I've tried a few but they don't work either.
I'm sorry to hear that. You have my sympathy - I hate to see something I've cared for go for nothing, and I'm not a very good gardener so it happens quite a bit!

Cheers

John

I'm sorry to hear that. You have my sympathy - I hate to see something I've cared for go for nothing, and I'm not a very good gardener so it happens quite a bit!

Cheers

John
Cheers John, We live and learn and move on. I thought about replacing our box tree hedge with another type of hedge but currently the area is covered with a mass of Orange King (California) type poppies and a variety of red poppies. Looks nice and the bees love it !! :D (y)

Sorry for deviating somewhat TWM.

❌ WARNING ❌

This is the box tree caterpillar if you ever come across it ....
1687880417321.png

Last edited:
I am seeing a lot of anti-Box Tree Moth propaganda lately on various Facebook groups and now it's even on birdforum? It's following me!

As far as I could find, no Buxus species is native to the UK, is that correct? In that case, the moths are actually a blessing because they are killing a weed!

I am seeing a lot of anti-Box Tree Moth propaganda lately on various Facebook groups and now it's even on birdforum? It's following me!

As far as I could find, no Buxus species is native to the UK, is that correct? In that case, the moths are actually a blessing because they are killing a weed!
Buxus Sempervirens is a UK native

I'm a professional gardener - box tree caterpillar can be effectively treated with a product called xen tari from a company called top buxus.

Also not many native birds eat the caterpillars which is quite annoying however sparrows do and effectively controlled it in my garden till earlier this year, not sure quite what's happened now as the caterpillar is taking hold, xen tari will be going on it this weekend!

I'm a professional gardener - box tree caterpillar can be effectively treated with a product called xen tari from a company called top buxus.

Also not many native birds eat the caterpillars which is quite annoying however sparrows do and effectively controlled it in my garden till earlier this year, not sure quite what's happened now as the caterpillar is taking hold, xen tari will be going on it this weekend!
In my experience xentari did NOT eradicate box tree caterpillars, I regularly put loads on before coming to the conclusion that it was a waste of money. Hand picking the caterpillars off my box tree hedge was more effective but you just can't see/get them all once they have installed themselves. The only treatment that worked for me was to get rid of the box tree hedge.

Well that's not my experience. From may to late September they need treating roughly every 3 weeks, one sache to 3 litres of water using a reasonably coarse nozzle (bigger drops) so it penetrates the foliage. That 3 litres will treat roughly 30 square meters of box hedge foliage. All our properties have been done like that and all the buxus is in perfect health.

The only other thing to worry about with box is not to cut it when it's wet/damp that means avoiding early spring, autumn and most of winter as well as when there's rain in the forecast in summer- the only days you can get away with in winter are those bitterly cold dry days - usually accompanied with a northerly wind - those are the days to reduce box hedges. Any dampness will allow blight in.

Well that's not my experience. From may to late September they need treating roughly every 3 weeks, one sache to 3 litres of water using a reasonably coarse nozzle (bigger drops) so it penetrates the foliage. That 3 litres will treat roughly 30 square meters of box hedge foliage. All our properties have been done like that and all the buxus is in perfect health.

The only other thing to worry about with box is not to cut it when it's wet/damp that means avoiding early spring, autumn and most of winter as well as when there's rain in the forecast in summer- the only days you can get away with in winter are those bitterly cold dry days - usually accompanied with a northerly wind - those are the days to reduce box hedges. Any dampness will allow blight in.
I tried that and towards the end treated a lot more regularly than every 3 weeks for around 3 years. I found that the solution is not reliable, it runs off, especially when it rains. Also, it doesn't penetrate everywhere in particularly the webbing that the caterpillars surround themselves with. I ended up hand picking the caterpillars off, literarily thousands of them. The only resolution that worked for me was to dig up the hedge. Wish you'd been around to treat my hedge given that you appear to have been so successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back