• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brazil dry interior Sparrow (1 Viewer)

stephennj

Here's a few photos from a trip to Sao Paulo Brazil in Dec. 2006 which would be mid summer for that area. The bird was photographed in Ourunhos , about 5 hr drive west into the dry flat interior of the state. Grassland habitat and some marshlands in the immediate area. I never got a proper I.D. on this bird but now believe it is an immature Grassland Sparrow , a very widespread species in S. America. Black spotting on the breast shows and a bit of yellow on the lores. Please anyone with working knowledge of this habitat feel free to enlighten me or lead me to another bird. There were a few Seedeater species in this area and White-browed Blackbird (could this be a female ?) .Thankyou for your input !

Attachments

• Brazilmystery1croped-.jpg
    Brazilmystery1croped-.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Brazilmystery2cropped-.jpg
    Brazilmystery2cropped-.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Brazilmystery3cropped-.jpg
    Brazilmystery3cropped-.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 86
Hi Stephen,

That would be my guess, though I can't say for sure. Grassland Sparrow also usually shows that yellow on the underwing, present in the bird here.

EDIT: I can't see the yellow lores in th 3rd picture, but I don't know how variable that amount of yellow can be.

Cheers!

PS: I guess by Ourunhos you meant Ourinhos, right? ;)

Joao thanks - and yes on the town spelling ! I have a question for you though , can the markings on the breast quallify it for immature Grassland Sparrow by process of elimination. What other birds would show this mark in the area ? thanks for your input and I now realize I posted a similar thread and photos about a year ago .

Thankyou so much Octavo , I consider you an expert for this area and your opinion is the law ! and thanks Joao just the same ! I am closing this chapter of my Brazil Q&A.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back