• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Breeding Lapwing (1 Viewer)

trw

Its been interesting to see how Lapwings have managed to breed this year.
A local field is suitable for Lapwing but also used to for cattle grazing. It looks like someone had put temporary fencing around one area possibly to keep the cattle out. There were three chicks running around the other day and one Lapwing still nesting.
A nearby flooded field has been fenced off completely. It's adjacent to a public footpath. If the farmer hadn't put up the fence then no doubt walkers and dogs would be walking around the mini lake which has been created. A pair managed to produce two chicks at least.
Several Lapwing attempted to nest on nearby fields but were foiled when they were ploughed and long transparent strips of platic were laid down to promote faster crop growth. The Lapwing attempted to nest again. Last night there were six Lapwing up in the air fending off crows, suggesting chicks were out and about. I could only see one chick because of the deep furrows and the growing crop. Most likely there were more in the vicinity. There's a similar field close by. Four Lapwing nested; I'm awaiting to see if any chicks emerge and survive.
A local holiday home park has created a small nature reserve. They prepared an area for returning Lapwing. Apparently around four pairs nested. I'm not sure how sucessful they were.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back