• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

brewer's or vesper sparrow, Lassen county, California (1 Viewer)

I recently had my first experiences with both brewer's and vesper sparrows, but I can't seem to figure out which species is which in my photos. There were a ton of both species flying around and they were very easy to tell apart in person since vesper have white tail feathers in flight, but I wasn't paying much attention to which birds I took pictures of.

I think number one is a Vesper sparrow from the white eyeing.

Number two should be a Brewer's sparrow, or possibly a Savannah sparrow, although the latter is quite uncommon where I was birding from what I see on the ebird range maps.

I believe that number three is also a Brewer's sparrow.

Thanks in advance for checking my ID's

Attachments

• sparrow 1.jpg
    sparrow 1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 25
  • sparrow 2.jpg
    sparrow 2.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 19
  • sparrow 3.jpg
    sparrow 3.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 18
I believe all are Vesper. Brewer's is a very thin sparrow with a long, notched tail. Vesper often appears plumper (photos 1 and 2) and shorter-tailed. Although #3 seems longer-tailed, the cheek area is too bright for Brewer's but a good fit for Vesper.

Vesper’s. Uncommon but regular out there, Brewer’s is not a bird ive ever encountered in that area, though I wouldn’t doubt that they exist.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back