• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British Birds (1 Viewer)

Do you mean as in by one person or in total, and presumably by species rather than individuals. Counting every single bird you saw would be hard!

Not that I know the answer to any of those

Do you mean as in by one person or in total, and presumably by species rather than individuals. Counting every single bird you saw would be hard!

... maybe even the most species of birds seen* in Britain in one year?

*by all observers, as accepted by the British Birds Rarities Committee, perhaps?

Sorry for not being clear, I meant the number of different species seen by an individual (so in effect the longest year list of british birds)

Ask Lee, he always has one more than anyone else or rules them out for stringing.

The answer is 350+ but whether the published totals are BOU British List species or BBRC accepted individuals I wouldn't know.

John

From Lee's own blog:

http://thebirdingdiariesofleeevans.blogspot.com/

Year Listing in the UK

Lee Evans has been Year-listing in the UK since 1977 and has achieved annual totals of over 300 species ever since. Although he has recorded in excess of 360 species on some eight occasions, his record stands at 386 species - achieved in 1996. Adrian Webb in Year 2000 recorded at least 378 species, making him by far the highest-listing individual to compare with Lee. In terms of Life Listing, Lee has recorded 568 species in Britain and Ireland and 850 species in the wider Western Palearctic region.

From Lee's own blog:

http://thebirdingdiariesofleeevans.blogspot.com/

Year Listing in the UK

Lee Evans has been Year-listing in the UK since 1977 and has achieved annual totals of over 300 species ever since. Although he has recorded in excess of 360 species on some eight occasions, his record stands at 386 species - achieved in 1996. Adrian Webb in Year 2000 recorded at least 378 species, making him by far the highest-listing individual to compare with Lee. In terms of Life Listing, Lee has recorded 568 species in Britain and Ireland and 850 species in the wider Western Palearctic region.

But the UK 400 club rules count birds such as Budgie, big bird and clay
pidgeon so don't read to much into these stats!!! ;)

I wonder how long before the breeding bucks Zebra finch make into his list!

Only kidding by the way..... Just a bit of fun

Does anyone care?

Well I would have thought he fact that someone took the time to post the question would give you the answer to that.

I guess the point you were trying to make is its not about numbers but just enjoying being out and about and enjoying whatever birds or other wildlife we see and with that I'd totally agree but I still thought it was an interesting question that I would like to know the answer to.

Steve Babbs said:
I've never seen the point of year listing but...what ever turns you on.
I used to always think year listing was a bit pointless as well, until I did my first one. Then I discovered that (at least for me) it makes me appreciate the very commonest birds all over again - even house sparrows and common starlings - because you actually want to find them, and it also makes you go out birding instead of just sitting around at home or whatever. So now I do them every year (since 2006) and I find them a lot of fun.

Does anyone know what the record for the most British birds seen in one year is?

Sadly the whole question, as can be seen from the above, has become a little open to debate. As John says, it is above 350 but there is no 'official' body in the UK to adjudicate on such things. In the US, I believe it is the American Birding Association who are judge and jury and publish a run down of the top lists each year.

In the UK, Lee Evans tries to fulfill that niche with his UK 400 club (which has its own criteria for what counts on the British List, hence people frequently having a UK 400 club list and a BOU list - the BOU being the official keepers of the British List).

But the problem is that Lee is the most ardent of year listers and is judge and jury to his competitors with no-one acting in the same capacity to his own efforts. Whether rightly or wrongly, the result is claims and counter claims, accusations of unjust disqualifications and species being added later on just to avoid losing.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back