• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British Migrants (1 Viewer)

With a brief milder spell forcasted this week, snow is forecasted again for the weekend here in Eastern England, coupled with northerly/northeasterly winds.

I have had my first Sand Martins here in S. Lincs by the 14th or 15th before (this weekend being the 12th-13th), doesn't look like we will get them that early this year, judging by the forecast...

Anyone any ideas?

blgp_birder said:
With a brief milder spell forcasted this week, snow is forecasted again for the weekend here in Eastern England, coupled with northerly/northeasterly winds.

I have had my first Sand Martins here in S. Lincs by the 14th or 15th before (this weekend being the 12th-13th), doesn't look like we will get them that early this year, judging by the forecast...

Anyone any ideas?

I think the spring influx could be delayed a bit this year, but on the plus side we might have the Redwings etc. for a few weeks longer.

Richard

With a big area of high pressure right down to Spain over the next few days I think it's quite possible a few migrants will make it to southern England at least. Winds won't be entirely favourable but should be light.

I agree. The temperatures in Spain and W France are warming somewhat, and there is slightly favourable wind (at least its not clearly adverse). The weather in the UK goes wrong on Saturday, but that still leaves the chance of something making it to the south coast on Friday night. But its certainly a long shot and surely likely to be lower numbers than this time last year.

There is a Garganey at Slimbridge WWT at the moment. When I worked there Spoonbill was often the first passage migrant of the year a day or so before the first Sand Martins or Wheatears. We have a while longer to wait in Scotland for any migrants. The weather is going back to the north again.

Here in Pennsylvania even though it was 13f this morning there was a flock of 500 or so Grackles in the trees in the yard.

My first Wheatear of the year was at Rattray Head yesterday (23/03). Sand Martins reported in Aberdeen today. No sign of any Sandwich Terns though. Spring is almost sprung!

Swallows and Martins have started to appear in South Wales, flying through by water. But as we all know 1 swallow doesn't even mean an end to Winter these days!

Redstart, Pied Fly, Common Sand all in inland areas of the North East today.
All 3 very early. As is the case most Aprils the Pied Flys & Redstarts are noted against a back drop of hail & snow.
Makes you wonder why they dont wait a few more months!!
Steve.

The swallows and martins haven't reached my bit of Wales yet. Being as it's been fairly mild except for a couple of odd days, I am quite surprised. They are often here the last week of March. Mind you, there was only about one pair of swallows last summer, which had a couple of broods. There are lots more house martins and swifts around my area for some reason.

Hi all,

Out birding from 17.00hrs tonight driving around the Allen Valley (upland SW Northumbs) large numbers of Fieldfares feeding in fields numbers as follows,200+, c180, 250+, c200, @ 500, c240, & 28. Also groups of Golden Plovers many in splendid breeding plumage (northern race) in most cases exact same fields as previous years counts as follows, 38, 114, 174 and 78. Weather sunny but strong SW wind f 5/6.

2 Yellow Wagtails a nice find, Snipe, Redshank, Curlew and Lapwing displaying everywhere, many Lapwing sitting.

Hares especially numerous in excess of 50 seenwhich was very nice, 2 Red Squirrels watched chasing each other up and down a vertical tree trunk, a very rewarding drive especially when finished off with 4 Blackcock strutting their stuff at a lek. I love April.

Hirundines still very scarce.

Stewart

B :)

Hello everyone
I just thought I should record that I saw a swallow just outside Rhossili in South Wales on Sunday 10th April, and two wheatears - male and female - at Worm's Head on 9th and 10th April.

Been offline as pc had a virus so bit late here...

At Powburn on Saturday, 9th April, first two swallows of the year and Willow Warbler at Hauxley.
Today, Tuesday 12th, just heard my first Chiffchaff singing - just outside Powburn.

Spring is here....though loads of rain forecast over next two days!

GILL

Hi all,

Willow Warblers singing everywhere this morning here in upland SW Northumberland along with a single Blackcap. Sand Martin and Swallow numbers also picking up.

Stewart

:bounce:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back