• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown Bear viewing in Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

watcher

Although Finland is probably the leader of Brown Bear viewing trips in Europe (rather expensive though), Bulgaria is also trying to help the protection of large carnivores in the country by raising public awareness in local comminuties showing that viewing Brown Bears could bring good and sustainable income to many families living in the countryside in some mountaineous regions in Bulgaria (as hiking, wine tasting, birdwatching, sightseeing etc. as side attractions are always very popular addition to such trips). One of the first attempts for doing that is already at hand:

http://birdwatchingbulgaria.com/?page=brown_bear_tour

Any comments on how such initiative could bring advantages to both humans and bears would be much appreciated.
Regards,

Last edited:
I sincerely hope bear photographing and watching becomes more popular than bear hunting. Despite the speculations of numbers like 800 bears on the territory of Bulgaria, I presume that there are at least 400 foraging in the main mountain ranges: Rila, Pirin, Rhodopi and Balkan. There is one radio-tagged bear named Nina. Last year, because of the worm weather some of the bears did not go to sleep. I remember seeing fresh footprints in Balkan mountains in January. Are the bears asleep in the Rodopi Mountains?

Hi,

Best bears are, of course, in Brasov, Romania, where about a dozen feed every night in rubbish containers right next to city blocks.

This is only place in Eastern Europe where bears really walk on city streets !

All the best, anyway!

jurek said:
Hi,

Best bears are, of course, in Brasov, Romania, where about a dozen feed every night in rubbish containers right next to city blocks.

This is only place in Eastern Europe where bears really walk on city streets !

All the best, anyway!

Yes, you are right but they look rather like pets there. I have been looking for them in Brasov a year ago. There are even people feeding them with sandwitches directly through the windows of their cars. But this is not something that much impressive...Of course it is quite interesting scene (sometimes even dangerous, as some graveyards by these blocks still remind of not very pleasant meeting between bears and humas). Almost like feral dogs in your backyard.
But the noise of huge solitary male, braking off branches while walking through the bushes at midnight...this is what I am talking about... You must try to experience the differnce by yourself ;)

http://www.ecotours.hu Birding Hungary :
I think major part of the European bear population is found in ROmania-Transylvania. ""Thanks"" to Mr Ceausescu there are perfectly built and safe hides where you can see them in the wild. We are running several birds and bears tour to see them , also to Slovakia. Birds include Caprcaillie, Hazel Grouse, Lesser Spotted, Golden Eagle, all woodpeckers species including Three toed, Grey Headed, Black, Middle spotted, White backed Wp. Ural Owl Tengmalm's Owl, Pygmy Owl.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back