• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

budget scope (1 Viewer)

deansmith

im looking for a budget scope to buy (well to get for my birthday)

itl only be used when i get lifts to places and on days out ect everyday birding is done on foot and with just my bins

i have the sea litterally at the end of my street so i fancy itl be used mainly for looking out to sea and for long distance viewing

i dont know the first thing about scopes ive never owned one before and have only once had a fleeting look through one

i have a budget for scope and tripod of £150

im not expecting the best in the world for that obviously but any pointers on what to look for ? makes and models ect

also is there a website that explains the different parts of scopes eyepieces ect so i can see what everyones talking about !

thanks

DS

Dean,

Things to look out for:

Objective size: (e.g 60mm)
Bigger = better, all else being equal, as it lets in more light. However, they are more expensive and heavier. 60mm ish is usually a good compromise.

Magnification:
At your budget, i'd forget a zoom. They have a smaller field of view (i.e you can actually see less stuff through it at the same magnification) and aren't as good quality as a fixed eyepiece.
A 20-30X fixed will be best

Coatings:
Try and get a fully multicoated scope if you can - this will mean good light transmission.

Waterproofing:
Something to think about - do you intend to use it out in the rain? Either way, there's a chance you'll get caught in it.

Also think about straight or angled view.

You'll need about £50 for a tripod, so that leaves £100 for a scope. New, that won't get you a lot at all - you'll probably want to look 2ndhand.

Try looking for opticrons secondhand - the IS series are apparently good.
You may get lucky and find a Kowa Ts611 or Ts612 for £100 - very good scopes.
The for sale forum on here is good for bargains!

New, apparently the opticron picollo is a good starter scope.

thanks for your help

i should of mentioned i already have a tripod

i looked at the opticron picollo mearly beacuse the price grabbed me at 50 quid but everywhere i seen it advertised mentioned it was good for archery target and no mention of birding so didnt know if it was suitable

thanks again

any more info greatly received

DS

There will be quite a lot of used ones here and there, but as the beginning level is what people move up from, they do not sell well, or sellers do not find where to sell them. I would sell you mine cheap, but I am not willing to ship to the UK.

Saw a spotting scope at Lidl the other day for around £95 with a 90mm front lens and looked a great piece of kit! has anyone bought one on here?
Cheers
Brian

Check out the delta scope from Infocus.

£159.00 for 70mm scope and choice of fixed or zoom eyepiece. Also comes with stay on case.
\i tried it out at Martin Mere and for money its not bad.

I used to have an Acuter Pro 65mm, available for £105 from Sherwoods, including a 16-48 zoom eyepiece and a stay on case of sorts. I thought it was excellent value for money at £130, which is what I paid, so it's even better at the new lower price. It's a bit bulky and old fashioned looking compared to the newer (and pricier) alternatives. I moved onto a Nikon ED50, as I wanted ED glass for digiscoping, but I think the Acuter is well worth a look at the price.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back