• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Budget Spotting Scope (3 Viewers)

Rich2121

United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a bit of advice.

Looking at getting a decent first spotting scope for around £300 mark because I've also got to get a tripod, the ones which have caught my attention are:-

Hawke Nature-Trek 20-60 80mm
Opticron Adventurer II WP 15-45x60
Opticron MM3 60/GA
Celestron Ultima 65/80/100

ED glass would be better but I don't think i'm looking to pay that much at the moment as i'm still new.

If any of you have any experience, constructive comments on these models and suggestions which might aid the decision process please post below.

Thanks.

If you're happy buying secondhand you might be able to pick up a used Nikon Fieldscope ED IIIA for your budget with a standard eyepiece, certainly an EDII (optically very close but not waterproof). Either are better than what you'll get new for that budget.

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum

If you're happy buying secondhand you might be able to pick up a used Nikon Fieldscope ED IIIA for your budget with a standard eyepiece, certainly an EDII (optically very close but not waterproof). Either are better than what you'll get new for that budget.
I would second a Nikon fieldscope off eBay. Fantastic kit for the price

Sometimes on eBay you will get someone selling the whole kit and caboodle, scope, eyepiece, tripod and case. It can be a cost effective way of getting started.

Had a look around and can't find much at the moment unless you want to go old school!

if you are not avers to buying second hand, it’s worth looking at the websites of various well known shops.
Ace Optics, Cley Spy, Focalpoint, to name just three.
These shops often have trade-in kit to sell when folks upgrade.
You can also try to negotiate, and potentially save a few quid.

My only real advice would be Try Before You Buy if at all possible

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, looking to buy new if possible.

Just wondering on these cheaper scopes how useable they are at higher magnifications, but I do appriciate they will have their limitations at this kind of price. I like the look of the Hawke Nature-Trek and Opticron MM3. I'd like to go somewhere to try them out and see what sort of performance I'm going to get for my money, not that many optics shops around.

Thanks for the replies, looking to buy new if possible.

Just wondering on these cheaper scopes how useable they are at higher magnifications, but I do appriciate they will have their limitations at this kind of price. I like the look of the Hawke Nature-Trek and Opticron MM3. I'd like to go somewhere to try them out and see what sort of performance I'm going to get for my money, not that many optics shops around.
Depending where you are, you will find some of the larger reserves will have Optic's days a couple of times a year with a large selection to look at

Lack of ED tends to show itself more at higher magnifications - it's generally not too bad below 20x. If you're wanting to use a scope a lot at higher magnifications you may be disappointed in less expensive non-ED scopes, but there's also the arguement that any scope is better than no scope.

If you visit reserves don't be affraid to get chatting to other birders and ask if you can have a look through their scope - most birders are a friendly helpful bunch and happy to let you try their optics to give you an idea whether it suits.

To echo GreenRooky's point I believe that RSPB Leighton Moss had an optics day over this weekend.
RSPB Burton Mere have also had an optics day recently.

It's difficult to say because I think any decentish scope would be an upgrade.

It can be frustrating when you zoom in to the max of the scope and can't make much out, makes me wonder why manufacturers bother to add high zooms if they're not very useable.

Good call on the sales days at places - I'll look into that.

Also the fact when you've tried top end Kowas and Swarovskis it's always in your mind how good they can be.

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

I would second going for a used ED scope (bought in person after testing it or from a reputable business with a no questions asked return policy) at that budget or save up a bit.

The rationale being that a plain glass scope will show serious image deterioration beyond 40-45x because of physics and maybe even earlier because of not so great quality control.

So if you really want a new scope now at the 300 quid price point, you should scratch the Hawke and Celestron options from your list - they will be blurry beyond 45x and below they only show a quite narrow field of view (their 3x traditional zoom EPs tend to be quite narrow until the highest quarter of the zoom range... and that is where the limitations of the body will make the view blurry).

Both Opticron options make more sense with their zoom range up to 45x or so... in that category I would recommend the Kowa 501 - this tiny and super light 50mm scope works surprisingly well with its integrated 20-40x zoom and if you later decide to save for sth. nicer and bigger, it will still be useful as super lightweight option for long hikes...

Joachim

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

I would second going for a used ED scope (bought in person after testing it or from a reputable business with a no questions asked return policy) at that budget or save up a bit.

The rationale being that a plain glass scope will show serious image deterioration beyond 40-45x because of physics and maybe even earlier because of not so great quality control.

So if you really want a new scope now at the 300 quid price point, you should scratch the Hawke and Celestron options from your list - they will be blurry beyond 45x and below they only show a quite narrow field of view (their 3x traditional zoom EPs tend to be quite narrow until the highest quarter of the zoom range... and that is where the limitations of the body will make the view blurry).

Both Opticron options make more sense with their zoom range up to 45x or so... in that category I would recommend the Kowa 501 - this tiny and super light 50mm scope works surprisingly well with its integrated 20-40x zoom and if you later decide to save for sth. nicer and bigger, it will still be useful as super lightweight option for long hikes...

Joachim
Hi Joachim

Thanks for the reply and warm welcome.

You raised some excellent points and some great advice particularly about the Kowa 501 at the end being a useful option in the future.
The Kowa 501 is one option I've looked into but was put off a bit by people saying the eye relief isn't great but I feel the optics would be really good as Kowa are a quality manufacturer. I'm going to try and get to Clyspy at some point to have a go I think.

Hi,

I have to admit that ER is usually not on my list of things to test for (unless it is too long) as I don't need glasses for now... but the 501 I tried on an astro convention worked surprisingly well for the price.

The same argument could be also made for the MM3 50 of course... with more EP options.

Btw, Cleyspy currently has a used Fieldscope ED 50 with the 20x/30x/38x MC wide EP for 300 quid. I would probably get that in your case...

Joachim

Consider the Svbony SV406P, 65mm or 80mm. ED glass, standard 1.25" astronomy eyepieces, comes with a good zoom (15-45x/20-60x). I have the 80mm, very pleased. Search the forums, I've posted some pictures taken through the scope using a smartphone. In visual use, the image quality is even better than the pictures suggest. It can sometimes be bought on Amazon, otherwise direct from Svbony.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have to admit that ER is usually not on my list of things to test for (unless it is too long) as I don't need glasses for now... but the 501 I tried on an astro convention worked surprisingly well for the price.

The same argument could be also made for the MM3 50 of course... with more EP options.

Btw, Cleyspy currently has a used Fieldscope ED 50 with the 20x/30x/38x MC wide EP for 300 quid. I would probably get that in your case...

Joachim
Really nice eyepiece too and hard to get hold of. I lost mine and tracking down a replacement isn't easy.

So I was able to have a try with the Opticron MM3 60/GA non ed. Overall I was please with the view it was really bright and sharp also having little CA but when zooming in you could tell how much the exit pupil was shrinking and the view was harder to see through. Even with the field of view shrinking i feel the image was still pretty sharp.

I think this is something we just have to accept as it's based on physics and for the price I think its a good little scope. I'm looking to try the Hawke Nature Trek 80mm and then I will make my mind up... I think. :LOL:

Best

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a bit of advice.

Looking at getting a decent first spotting scope for around £300 mark because I've also got to get a tripod, the ones which have caught my attention are:-

Hawke Nature-Trek 20-60 80mm
Opticron Adventurer II WP 15-45x60
Opticron MM3 60/GA
Celestron Ultima 65/80/100

ED glass would be better but I don't think i'm looking to pay that much at the moment as i'm still new.

If any of you have any experience, constructive comments on these models and suggestions which might aid the decision process please post below.

Thanks.

I got my Kowa 602 used with 20-60x eye piece for right around $400. I would suggest that if you can find one.

possiedo lo svbony 406p 80mm molto buono per il suo prezzo

MOD Translation: i own the svbony 406p 80mm very good for its price

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back