• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bullfinch - North west Poland (1 Viewer)

AGDK

Hello

Yesterday afternoon a couple of kilometres from my home and again this morning from my bedroom window, I heard what I assume must be a Bullfinch calling.. At least I don't have any other suggestions.. Both times the "birdnet" app confirmed it as Bullfinch, for what it's worth..

The reason I ask is that they are normally not reported in this region until late October, when they arrive from breeding area.. And I find it odd, to hear the same call twice in 2 days, with a good distance between them.. So I am afraid that I have forgotten some other species that could make this sound!?

Can anyone confirm please.. :)

Thanks

Attachments

• Eurasian Bullfinch.wav
    829.4 KB
  • Eurasian Bullfinch1.wav
    1.3 MB
Having Xeno Canto’d Bullfinch call from a number of countries- USSR, Belgium, Sweden, Ireland and UK.
I was a little surprised at the variability of the call, that said I’m thinking that the first track was comparable, although unsure of the second?

Cheers

Certainly sounds spot on for Bullfinch, and they breed throughout Poland - though of course they may be absent from your local area at certain times of the year. Unless there's another Polish species I'm not very familiar with that sounds exactly like Bullfinch, I'd say it is one. 🤔

Hello,

the only reason why I post this, is to thank Andy: its very good if you alert others fast if you noticed anything usual. Clearly no offence towards ADGK.

I opened the files this morning and didnt noticed anything (dont trust me on this too much, I rely on my safety programms). And I found it ok for a Bullfinch, but because of a quite "distinguished" impression (shifted slightly towards some Crossbill calls) and the usual caveats on my actual device I waited for others to comment.
So thanks to Ken, Jogresh, Roland and Pete for ID!

And thanks Andy again!

Thanks to all for the confirmation..

It's true they are present in Poland whole year, but in my area, there are 2 sightings in the last 3 years during summer time... That's why I wanted to be sure!

@andy: I have no idea what can be the reason for this issues.. It's standard WAV files, downloaded directly from "Birdnet" app..

It's true they are present in Poland whole year, but in my area, there are 2 sightings in the last 3 years during summer time... That's why I wanted to be sure!

@andy: I have no idea what can be the reason for this issues.. It's standard WAV files, downloaded directly from "Birdnet" app..
Have they declined in Poland of late AGDK? They’ve certainly declined here in the London area over the last five years, have only seen one bird in the last two years!😩

Cheers

I haven't notice any decline, but usually I don't see them too often anyway.. During wintertime they are present, but not in big amounts, usually smaller groups of 3-6 pcs.. During earlier spring, you see them together in couples, but in around end of March, they usually disappear, until late October..

I think Poland is the same as Lithuania in this regard - Bullfinch being a low density breeder across the whole country, but numbers heavily boosted by an influx of more northern/eastern birds in late autumn, these thereafter wintering.

I very rarely see them on my land in summer (like almost never), but always a considerable passage in late October and then moderately common in winter.

I also had no way to close the file page?

It was definitely related to the file somehow, none of my tabs, my internet connection was severed and had to be reset, my laptop was unaffected so it was nothing to do with my service provider.

I also had no way to close the file page?

It was definitely related to the file somehow, none of my tabs, my internet connection was severed and had to be reset, my laptop was unaffected so it was nothing to do with my service provider.

seems unlikely to be caused by the file specifically. more likely just your pc or software acting up ¯⁠\⁠⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠⁠/⁠¯

Not really. If it was a random event, you had to be doing something when it happened - and this was the something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back