• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bunting? help in ID (Iran) (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I agree with Ken,
this must surely be of one of the "Ortolan Buntings". In Germany, a bunting with that bill-colour, a bold white eye-ring dominating the head pattern and uniform peachy-sandy underparts is an Ortolan, but different in Iran, where Cretzschmar's Bunting and Grey-necked Bunting has to be considered,too.

I cant help with the ID, but it looks some kind of strange to me. Upperparts seems too grey and too "clean=geometric" streaked (including just visible pale tramlines). And the head pattern with well marked boarders to the ear-coverts seems quite bold, at least an (german) Ortolan would say this.

Well visible step in tertial-edges excludes Grey-necked Bunting according to literature, but a search revealed, that Cretzschmar's Bunting shouldnt breed in Iran. But even after knowing this, the bird looks some kind of unusual for an Ortolan Bunting. Different populations that differs from those in Europe?

Conclusion? I havent experience with Cretzschmar's Bunting and Grey-necked Bunting, therefore I better wait for more comments. Thanks!

I agree with everything that Alexander has written.

The only thing that I can add I'd that whenever I have found Grey-necked they have surprisingly bright pink bills. This is in part due to the lack of dark culmen (which is found with Cretzschmar's). This bird appears to have this feature as well.

Grey-necked is readily excluded by a combination of tertial pattern, previously mentioned by Alexander, which, are evenly spaced, lower scapulars lacking rufous fringes, along with heavily streaked mantle lacking grey tones. The culmen may appear pale but hardly reliable in this instance IMHO.

Cretzschmar's would seen very unlikely but, can also be eliminated by a combination of bill structure, wing structure (pp>30%; 2-3 well-spaced tips), evenly spaced tertials which lack rufous tones, boldy marked scapulars and streaked upper tail coverts.

In short, it's an Ortolan Bunting.

Grahame

Thank you all for useful comments.
I attached an adult specimen taken at the same locality.
As mantle is faintly streaked (in ortolan is prominently streaked) , would this possible to be a Grey-necked adult?

Sincerely
Ali

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 23
Thank you all for useful comments.
I attached an adult specimen taken at the same locality.
As mantle is faintly streaked (in ortolan is prominently streaked) , would this possible to be a Grey-necked adult?

Sincerely
Ali
You cannot actually see the mantle Gholam, but note, rufous-fringed lower scapulars, grey head, nape, neck and lesser coverts, tertial pattern (lacks step) and all pink bill confirming Grey-necked.

Grahame

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back