• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bunting ID (W France, january 5th) (1 Viewer)

Hallo,
I agree with Roland and BH. Please note
  • although not entirerly foolproof, the whitish spot is a good feature
  • Bolder Streiks to the flanks are weithin Variation für Winter Cirl Bunting
  • Head pattern with small pale area top the ear coverts is much better for Cirl Bunting
  • Short pp is also bester for Cirl Bunting
  • Slightly warm hue top the uppertail coverts and rump ist an artefact imo, the same Color is visible elswhere in this picture, so not real?
  • Narrow and distinct malar stripe is also better for Cirl Bunting than für YH

Why are you only considering Yellowhammer and/or Cirl Bunting? Ignore the white spot, it appears to be a rufescent bird with strong pale mantle braces and a rather bold head pattern?! Rump/uppertai coverts appears rufescent too. It's one low res pic, but doesn't strike me as a Cirl Bunting 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Why are you only considering Yellowhammer and/or Cirl Bunting? Ignore the white spot, it appears to be a rufescent bird with strong pale mantle braces and a rather bold head pattern?! Rump/uppertai coverts appears rufescent too. It's one low res pic, but doesn't strike me as a Cirl Bunting 🤷‍♂️
So, you think it is a .... ?

This remark would appear to be uncalled for, and certainly completely unnecessary.
But (and especially in light of the above) the following needs explanation...?
It might be a matter of me being not a native speaker, but I don't think I completely get your point...

Let me try: I was merely curious which species Pete had in mind. He did wonder why only YH or CB was considered but didn't say what he thinks it might be. Or did I overlook something? In case my request was somehow impolite, I appologise. It certainly wasn't intended.

Second: When I first replied, I focussed on the question whether the OP bird is a Rustic Bunting. My first impression was YH or Cirl and that was that. But now, after Reed Bunting came up I thought that, given the low resolution of the photo, this is also a possibility. Should have chosen my words more carefully, forgive me my ignorance...

I agree, it might well be a Reed Bunting but unless I'm not mistaken you didn't mention this species before post #9.
What I mentioned before, and what I was referring to, is that it was one poor image. I was a little baffled why everyone was convinced it had to be a Yellowhammer or Cirl Bunting. You are correct that I only mentioned Reed Bunting when you asked me. Not really sure what the problem with that is?

There is no problem at all, really! As I wrote before, I was only curious which species you thought it could be. That's all... and now that you mention Reed Bunting I agree that this is also possible.

I agree that the original image (which has now disappeared) is not of sufficient quality to be confidently identified. My initial, overconfident(?), remark was made in the context of ‘is it CB or YH?’
It could be a CRB

Would the apparent contrasty braces be compatible with CB or YH….not to mention the heavy flank streak? 😮

We've only the lightened image above now. Maybe I'm crazy but...

I can see some pro-little bunting characters:
  • At least hint of an eye ring
  • White spot on the face
  • apparently small bill with straight culmen
  • Tramlines on the back
  • White tips to the coverts

Well indeed, which is why I was non-comittal (other than pretty sure it wasn't a Cirl Bunting or Yellowhammer). However, I feel that the ear-covert pattern, particularly the obvious dark lower border, and thick eyestripe behind the eye, are wrong for Little Bunting.

Last edited:
Well indeed, which is why I was non-comittal (other than pretty sure it wasn't a Cirl Bunting or Yellowhammer). However, I feel that the ear-covert pattern, particularly the obvious dark lower border, and thick eyestripe behind the eye, are wrong for Little Bunting.
Yes I tend to agree. I thought might just be photo quality but maybe not. And if reed bunting it suggests the white spot is an artifact.

Yes I tend to agree. I thought might just be photo quality but maybe not. And if reed bunting it suggests the white spot is an artifact.
I think they often show a pale spot there, and if the highlights are blown out a bit, as is perhaps the case in the OP's picture, it could look more conspicuous than it really is. See the pic below from David Bradley's blog post for example.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230831_221248_Google~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230831_221248_Google~2.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back