• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bush Warbler species in Kaeng Krachan, Thailand (1 Viewer)

December 24th 2011, this Bush Warbler was found skulking at the roadside near Bang Krang Campsite in Kaeng Krachan, Thailand.

To me, it looks most like a Siberian Bush Warbler (Bradypterus davidi). But I would be grateful if anyone could comment on its idenntification.

I have searched Ebird and cannot find any records of Bush Warblers in Kaeng Krachan (but some records of davidi near Bangkok). Does anybody know the status of Bush Warblers at Kaeng Krachan?

Best,
Andreas

Attachments

• bush_warbler_collage1.jpg
    bush_warbler_collage1.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 32
  • bush_warbler_2.jpg
    bush_warbler_2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 60
December 24th 2011, this Bush Warbler was found skulking at the roadside near Bang Krang Campsite in Kaeng Krachan, Thailand.

To me, it looks most like a Siberian Bush Warbler (Bradypterus davidi). But I would be grateful if anyone could comment on its idenntification.

I have searched Ebird and cannot find any records of Bush Warblers in Kaeng Krachan (but some records of davidi near Bangkok). Does anybody know the status of Bush Warblers at Kaeng Krachan?

Best,
Andreas

Hi Andreas

This does indeed look like a Baikal Bush Warbler B. davidi suschkini.

There are few photos of them in the field, but in winter suschkini tends to look duller and more grey- or earth brown above, with a slight greyish collar and few (if any) marks on the upper breast. In fact when trapped in Burma it was named as a new subspecies shanensis it looked so different.

Suschkini is the form that occurs in Thailand - it is thought davidi occurs further east. However, winter distribution throughout its range is not especially well known - your record at KK is the most southerly I have heard of.

In 'Reed and Bush Warblers' there is a photo by Peter Kennerley of suschkini trapped at Chiang Mai.

Brian S

Andreas,

I agree with Brian it looks good for Baikal Bush Warbler, a name I prefer to use since I follow IOC.

Re status, in his 'Birds of the Bangkok Area' Round states 'This highly skulking little warbler, once only known from a handful of records from the north, proves to be common and widespread in scrubland, especially in marshy areas, including the Central Plains, as far south as Khao Sam Roi Yot (Prachuap Kiri Khan) It is a common winter visitor.

It is listed for Kaeng Krachan by both Thaibirdingcom & Norththaibirding but I am not sure how regular it is.

Grahame

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back