• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly, orange and black, Switzerland (1 Viewer)

S_Man

Is it possible to ID without the other side? Average size, maybe a Fritillary, looks a bit like a female Dark Green, Speyeria aglaja, but these are not common at low altitude, I suppose Marbled fritillary is the most common?

Attachments

• butterfly.JPG
    butterfly.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Is possible to ID without the other side? Average size, maybe a Fritillary, looks a bit like a female Dark Green, Speyeria aglaja, but these are not common at low altitude, I suppose Marbled fritillary is the most common?
I'd say no.

Just to say as well that I regularly got Dark Green at sea level in Russia.

Looks far too brown for Marbled to me. We get Dark Green as sea level in UK
Yes we have them too here, ~400 meters, but they are not "common"... I think they need prairies that are not mowed - I keep some surface of tall grass through the year, but it's a relatively small plot.

When was this photographed?

Looks like one of the smaller Boloria fritillaries to me, especially Weaver's Fritillary.

If photographed in recent days, this would also be good for these - they are a late flier and are on the wing now, whereas the other suggested species shouldn't be flying anymore.

Is it possible to ID without the other side? Average size, maybe a Fritillary, looks a bit like a female Dark Green, Speyeria aglaja, but these are not common at low altitude, I suppose Marbled fritillary is the most common?
Hi. It looks OK for a Weaver's to me, the markings, flight season etc.

The guide

Today. We have now butterflies flying almost all year round here, including this 1st of January... I understand some species are more seasonal, of course.
Based on this, I'll stay with Weaver's - season correct, markings and wing shape correct, small feel.

Doesn't look like a Marbled to me (wing shape, etc) and they would have finished a long time ago. Same for Dark Green, doesn't look like one and would be very late for this to be on the wing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back