• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzards(a record for me) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Taylor

:clap:
Hi All.
I encounted a wonderful sight today,the sighting off five buzzards
together.This is the first time i have ever witnessed this on Merseyside since
i have been bird-watching(at least fifteen years).These buzzards where
together soaring not too high up,you could easily see their under-wing bars
clearly.they where over the East Lancs Road by the News International
printing factory,Surounded by plantations,and farm land.This sighting was a
joy to watch & witness,it lasted a good fifteen minutes,then they flew off
together iinto the distance.What a JOY!

Regards
Jeff Taylor

I was lucky enough to have a nesting pair near where I worked. lunch time was spent watching up to 3 juvs in mock arial combat. really breathtaking. we also had nesting oystercatchers and a pair of common sandpipers. al this in an industrial estate.
billy

Jeff,

The expansion of Common Buzzards through North Western England is quite extra-ordinary.

In South Manchester I now have breeding Buzzard within two miles, and yesterday saw 6 together near the M56 / M6 junction.

From what used to be a red letter sighting , Buzzards are now becoming as familiar here as Sparrowhawk & Kestrel - good to see that Merseyside is in on the act!

In South Wales, you are more likely to see a Buzzard than a Kestrel these days especilly along the M4 corridor. A year ago I spoke to some Birders from East Anglia who said that this species was not that easy to come by in the SE.

From almost non-existent 12 years ago Buzzards are now the most conspicuous (& perhaps the most common) bird of prey in West Fife.

Hi Jeff

I saw five together at Martin Mere about a month back so not to far away. They are getting fairly common there.
However where you win is that you had them all flying whereas sitting on posts isn't quite so impressive. I've never seen more than a couple soaring.

We stopped at a petrol station near Totnes(Devon) yesterday, I counted 15 buzzards as I was filling up!!

One of my Fathers bird books from 1950's describes Buzzards as being largely confined to the Western Isles then it says" One or two pairs may breed in Devon and Cornwall"!!!
Haven't they done well.

Now all we need is a healthy population of Harriers in U.K.

Huge increase in C.Buzzards in Hampshire during recent years.

My largest count is 27 seen simultaneously on 16th March 2002 near Winchester- in groups of 18 and 9 about a mile apart.

Other large groups were 20 (twice) and 18 in mid-Test Valley

We are now starting to get regular sightings and one or two reports of breeding pairs in Hertfordshire.
Ten years ago a Buzzard sighting was something of a local 'twitch'!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back