• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

C90 bargain (1 Viewer)

jaymoynihan

Corvus brachyrhynchos watcher
I recently picked up a Celestron C90 for $159.95 on Amazon. If one is not philosophically opposed to Maks, and you want/need high magnification for nature observation, i recommend. I am using it with one of my other eyepieces, a 25mm Plossl for 50x & 1 degree FOV. So far, excellent performance.
Yesterday evening, (7-8 pm) humid and overcast (air still). Song bird IDs out to about a mile, (similar to 105 feet distance, naked eye), bright. At 1/2 mile, enjoyed sand hill cranes with young grazing.

Sounds like a bargain.
How easy is it to work with this astronomy scope?
Is the image right side up or reversed?

Sounds like a bargain.
How easy is it to work with this astronomy scope?
Is the image right side up or reversed?

With a standard diagonal (90 deg. astronomical ) it is R-L reversed. It comes with a 45 deg prism diagonal to correct that (and a 32mm plossl and a little backpack) is ok. I intend to get a higher quality version of that diagonal.

It is important, i think, to understand, this is not a scope you carry already mounted on the tripod, like an armoured, wp spotter. While i can get "on target" pretty fast (I am used to using maks for astro stuff), it is not really something for that.
Best uses:
You are going to be at one spot for awhile
Nest observation and the like
a long distance "microscope". If i remember correctly the close focus is 15' or so.

It also seems subject to stray light, and does benefit from a lense hood, which is avail thrid party by astro suppliers.

Last edited:
One addition: To get quick target acquisition a red dot finder (rdf) works wonders with narrow field of view catadioptrics like the C90. My cats (Celestron C70 and LOMO Astele 60) are so equipped. A good source for rdf's is your local neighbourhood USA Walmart (Daisy, about $10).

rmel66.

An update on my C90 usage.
I had been using the "Red Dot" on it, but sometimes problematic on bright days. Rummaged around my boxes of astro stuff and now have the C90 tricked out like this:

a 6x30 erect image finder
an Astro-Tech premium 45° image erecting diagonal (1.25")
a dewshield, used sometimes to reduce ambient glare
a Televue 26mm Plossl eyepiece (circa 1980's) for 48x. Probably my best 1.25" eyepiece (except for my orthoscopics ;) )

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back