• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambodia to Malaysia in September (1 Viewer)

Dave B

I've have a friend who'll be in Cambodia for work in September. At the end of his stint he will have three days spare to meet up with me for some birding.

So my question is, if you had only three days, and could go anywhere in Cambodia, Thailand or peninsular Malaysia, where would you go and why?

Look forward to some interesting suggestions!

Dave

Thailand:

Khao Yai Nationa, Park - near Bangkok.... hornbills, pittas and elephants
Grand Palace, Bangkok - amazing place

Malaysia, Taman Negara (oldest rainforest in world) if time, or Fraser's Hill - loadsa birds, nice n cool due to altitude

Cambodia - have a look at the Tonle Sap for storks etc...

Tim

Hanno said:
Or heat to Northern Cambodia for Giant and White-shouldered Ibis.

Hi Hanno

I am tempted by this option, but wonder how feasible it would be with only three days to do it in. How easy is it to get access to these places? How expensive? And finally, any idea how the weather in September would affect our chances?

Thanks for your help!

Dave

Tim Allwood said:
Thailand:

Khao Yai Nationa, Park - near Bangkok.... hornbills, pittas and elephants
Grand Palace, Bangkok - amazing place

Malaysia, Taman Negara (oldest rainforest in world) if time, or Fraser's Hill - loadsa birds, nice n cool due to altitude

Cambodia - have a look at the Tonle Sap for storks etc...

Tim

Hi Tim,

I guess I should have said that I am more interested in Thailand and Cambodia than Malaysia (which I know pretty well). I realise that mid September is not the preferred option of most birders. Will it still be very wet up in Thailand do you know?

If you could choose one place to visit in Thailand, would it be Khao Yai? I've been there once a long time ago, but there's plenty to go back for. Any other options? I've never been to HKK or Kaeng Krachan.

How about Tonle Sap. How easy is it to get to?

Thanks for all your help,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am actually going there beginning of April. We organized everything through Monsoon Tours. here is our program, and cost:
31 March
12h10 meet at Siem Reap airport (2WD, drivers speak basic English). Drive to Tmatbeay (about 3-4 hours). Accommodation in traditional wooden houses (so there is no twin / single room option). Dinner.
(in case you want to leave Siem Reap earlier we have higher costs for the 4WD's).

1-3 April.
Birdwatching with 2 local WCS field rangers and an English speaking WCS guide. Full board.

4 April.
Breakfast. Birdwatching. Drive to Kampong Thom (with English speaking WCS guide). Steung Sen Garden Hotel (2 stars / air-con, best available, no meals).

5 April
Birdwatching. At about 10h00 drive to Kratie. Accommodation at "mekong dolphin" (see www.mekong-dolphin.com", no meals).

6 April
5h45 drive to Kampi for watching Irrawaddy dolphins and 200 north (by boat) at the riverbank watch the Mekong Wagtail.
Return to Siem Reap (about 6 hours drive).

End of services.

Prices for group of 5 persons: $423 per person

Suppl. single room in Kampong Thom and Kratie: $20

Included services:
- Two 4WD, English speaking driver
- Accommodation and meals as per programme
- local field rangers and English speaking guide (WCS)
- Kampi entrance with 2 boats
There is no field ranger in Kratie available. But boat owners know the Mekong Wagtail site.

Not included:
Please make following contributions to WCS staff at the visited sites:
- $30 per person in Tmatbeay in case you can see the ibises
- $10 per person in Kampong Thom in case you can see the Florican
These donations go to a village community fund and are for the development of birdwatching tours in these areas.

They can be contacted via this e-mail: [email protected]

For Tonle Sap, contact OSMOSE, they run a community support program, and organize trips to the bird colonies. E-mail: [email protected], web page: http://osmosetonlesap.org

In Thailand, I love Khao Yai, but a recent visit to Kaeng Krachan was mind-blowing, too (trip reports on my web page). I often travel in SE Asia during the rainy season, but am usually lucky with the weather.

Cheers,

Hanno

Hanno said:
Hi Dave,

I am actually going there beginning of April. We organized everything through Monsoon Tours. here is our program, and cost:
31 March
12h10 meet at Siem Reap airport (2WD, drivers speak basic English). Drive to Tmatbeay (about 3-4 hours). Accommodation in traditional wooden houses (so there is no twin / single room option). Dinner.
(in case you want to leave Siem Reap earlier we have higher costs for the 4WD's).

1-3 April.
Birdwatching with 2 local WCS field rangers and an English speaking WCS guide. Full board.

4 April.
Breakfast. Birdwatching. Drive to Kampong Thom (with English speaking WCS guide). Steung Sen Garden Hotel (2 stars / air-con, best available, no meals).

5 April
Birdwatching. At about 10h00 drive to Kratie. Accommodation at "mekong dolphin" (see www.mekong-dolphin.com", no meals).

6 April
5h45 drive to Kampi for watching Irrawaddy dolphins and 200 north (by boat) at the riverbank watch the Mekong Wagtail.
Return to Siem Reap (about 6 hours drive).

End of services.

Prices for group of 5 persons: $423 per person

Suppl. single room in Kampong Thom and Kratie: $20

Included services:
- Two 4WD, English speaking driver
- Accommodation and meals as per programme
- local field rangers and English speaking guide (WCS)
- Kampi entrance with 2 boats
There is no field ranger in Kratie available. But boat owners know the Mekong Wagtail site.

Not included:
Please make following contributions to WCS staff at the visited sites:
- $30 per person in Tmatbeay in case you can see the ibises
- $10 per person in Kampong Thom in case you can see the Florican
These donations go to a village community fund and are for the development of birdwatching tours in these areas.

They can be contacted via this e-mail: [email protected]

For Tonle Sap, contact OSMOSE, they run a community support program, and organize trips to the bird colonies. E-mail: [email protected], web page: http://osmosetonlesap.org

In Thailand, I love Khao Yai, but a recent visit to Kaeng Krachan was mind-blowing, too (trip reports on my web page). I often travel in SE Asia during the rainy season, but am usually lucky with the weather.

Cheers,

Hanno

Excellent! Thanks Hanno.

Hi Dave,

I think Cambodia may be too wet in September. If I remember rightly the monsoons don't finish until end October. The roads are pretty bad at the best of times.

My Thai favourite would be Kaeng Krachan. Great place.

Hi
Would the last week in October/first in November be OK for the Siem Reap area or would it still be wet (and will ther ebe any birds!)?
Thanks
Tony

Dave,

Couple of things, contradicting Hanno somewhat. Do not go through OSMOSE for Tonle Sap, go through Sam Veasna Centre - www.samveasna.org, they would do a better job if you are interested in getting to the good birds. Secondly, there are no waterbirds there in September - they breed early January through to May.

Best bet would be to go for Tmat Boey, again through SVC, not Monsoon, the costs are much higher now, Monsoon have to go through SVC to visit Tmat Boey anyway now, reduces the costs a lot. Note - this is not cheap. White-shoulered Ibis would be very difficult in September. Giant Ibis easy as they are nesting then.

September is the wettest month in Cambodia.

Hi,
I will be in Siem Reap beginning of June. Mainly for the temples, but I hope to get away at least a day for birds as well. From what I read so far, going to Tonle Sap (Prek Toal site, right?) seems the most promising option for a day trip.
Any recommendations for other good options within reach of Siem Reap?.
June is beginning of rainy season, is that still ok for seeing good birds?
Thanks! Florian

Hi,
I contacted the Sam Veasna Centre in Siem Reap and they recommended Ang Trapaeng Thmor for a day trip at that time. We did that and it was a really good trip. Perfect organisation and a very good and friendly guide, I can definitly recommend SVC.

Still it was not the best time to visit (beginning of June), the Sarus Cranes were already gone, but still a lot of good stuff (especially for a beginner like me): Greater Adjuntants, hundreds of Openbills, Painted Storks, Black-headed Ibis etc.

Florian

Hi
I would also recommend SVC. We had two weeks in Cambodia at Easter and it was all arranged through SVC with an excellent guide (Sophoan) and driver. We managed to visit most of the major sites, except the Vulture and White winged duck sites (due to the time of the year), but went to Mondulkiri instead, where there were excellent birds, albeit, a rather large area.
Have fun
Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back