• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Campbell Island Snipe (1 Viewer)

Daniel Philippe

Coenocorypha aucklandica perseverance

Notornis, 2009, Vol. 56: 113-123
0029-4470 © The Ornithological Society of New Zealand, Inc.

Description of a new subspecies of Coenocorypha snipe from subantarctic Campbell Island, New Zealand

COLIN M. MISKELLY*
Wellington Hawke’s Bay Conservancy, Department of Conservation, P.O. Box 5086, Wellington 6145, New Zealand
ALLAN J. BAKER
Department of Natural History, Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, ON M5S 2C6, Canada Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON M5S 3B2, Canada

Abstract A new subspecies of Coenocorypha snipe from Campbell I is described and named. This bird was discovered on rat-free 19 ha Jacquemart I in 1997, and had probably been confined there as a breeding species for about 170 years. Norway rats (Rattus norvegicus) were eradicated from 11,268 ha Campbell I in 2001, and snipe soon began to recolonise the main island from Jacquemart I 1 km offshore. Twelve adults and 5 chicks were caught on Campbell I in Jan 2006, and 1 nest was found. Genetic analysis of blood samples, and measurements and plumage descriptions from these birds revealed that they were best regarded as a subspecies of Coenocorypha aucklandica, a species here recognised as confined to the subantarctic Auckland, Antipodes and Campbell Is, and specifically distinct from the 2 other extant Coenocorypha snipes (Snares I snipe C. huegeli and Chatham I snipe C. pusilla).

Any specimens collected? Some great photos have recently been taken of a bird on Campbell itself so it has presumably started to recolonise from Jacquemart following the eradication of rats.

cheers, alan

Coenocorypha aucklandica perseverance

Notornis, 2009, Vol. 56: 113-123
0029-4470 © The Ornithological Society of New Zealand, Inc.

Description of a new subspecies of Coenocorypha snipe from subantarctic Campbell Island, New Zealand

COLIN M. MISKELLY*
Wellington Hawke’s Bay Conservancy, Department of Conservation, P.O. Box 5086, Wellington 6145, New Zealand
ALLAN J. BAKER
Department of Natural History, Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, ON M5S 2C6, Canada Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON M5S 3B2, Canada

Miskelly, C. M., & Baker A. J. (2010). Corrected publication date for Coenocorypha aucklandica perseverance. Notornis. 57(1), 56.
http://notornis.osnz.org.nz/corrected-publication-date-coenocorypha-aucklandica-perseverance

New Caledonian Snipe

Forthcoming...

Worthy, Anderson & Sand (in press). An extinct Austral snipe Aves: Coenocorypha from New Caledonia. Emu. [abstract]

Last edited:
New Caledonian Snipe

Worthy, Anderson & Sand (in press). An extinct Austral snipe Aves: Coenocorypha from New Caledonia. Emu. [abstract]
Also mentioned here...

Anderson, Sand, Petchey & Worthy 2010. Faunal extinction and human habitation in New Caledonia: initial results and implications of new research at the Pindai Caves. J Pac Archaeol 1(1): 89-109. [article]

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back