• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can Pacific Golden Plovers show long primary projections?- SE Australia (1 Viewer)

Dimitris

Birdwatcher in Oz
Howdy folks,

I photographed these three birds today on the far south coast of NSW. Two birds didn't struck me as anything different than ordinary PGPs. However, the third one, was slightly different in beak structure and showed what appears to be a longer primary projection. I have seen PGPs that show the illusion of longer primaries due to wing moult, but for this guy I don't think that that's the case (he's always the leftmost last bird in the images).

Not calling it anything else other than PGP at this stage as the other characters (the beak shape could be due to mud) all fall in line with PGP.

Cheers and thanks,

D.

Attachments

• PGP 3.jpg
    PGP 3.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 149
  • PGP 2.jpg
    PGP 2.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 119
  • PGP.jpg
    PGP.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 115
Looks to be a juvenile Grey plover: bill more dagger shaped; overall bigger than the PGP; greyer plumage; less distinct supercilium; somewhat paler underparts/flanks (distinctly dusky on the juv PGP next to it); paler crown.

Looks to be a juvenile Grey plover: bill more dagger shaped; overall bigger than the PGP; greyer plumage; less distinct supercilium; somewhat paler underparts/flanks (distinctly dusky on the juv PGP next to it); paler crown.

*palm face* Of course it is a Grey Plover:

http://ibc.lynxeds.com/files/pictures/Plover_resize.jpg

When I first saw the three birds I thought I had three Grey Plovers. Then two turned into Pacifics and I assumed that the third one was one as well...

And when they flew I was convinced that all three had dusky underwings as well...

Thanks for the answer.

D.

Hi Tib, hi Dimitris,
it really is a Pacific Golden Plover...
The dark barring on the rear flank excludes Grey Plover (which has strikingly white vent and undertail coverts). I would also expect more of a size difference compared to the Pacific Golden Plover to its right, with especially a bulkier, less elongated body, as well as a shorter tibia.
The primary projection is not abnormally long if you compare with the longest tertial (which appears slightly tilted in the photos, exposing the shorter tertial below it) and if you consider that the primaries do not project much further beyond the tail than in the bird on the right.

I suspect, Dimitris, that you did not see a white rump on any of the birds when they flew off?

dimi would have seen the armpits. but he saw grey underwings. isn't the lowermost tertial in its right side missing? therefore accounting for a pseudo-long pp?

Yes...of course agree Peter. (Palm face is on me now Dimitris)

Actually I was looking for pictures right now because I had serious doubt. Comparing the 2 birds again there is not much difference between the duskiness of the underparts and the bill shape is not so good for GP in fact, plus I don't think I can see a hindtoe on the first pic.

Well that the second time I am having a senior moment with plovers within a few days...

I suspect, Dimitris, that you did not see a white rump on any of the birds when they flew off?

Yes, I noticed no white tails and black armpits. 'Just' dusky underwings. However, as I was focusing on photographing them I only saw two (including this one...I think...).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back