• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can someone identify these two (1 Viewer)

Collins Bird Guide - you'll not go far wrong for Britain and Europe
I think you'd easily go wrong with it... In fact I'm always mystified when people recommend this book to a UK-based (potential) beginner-birder - as is often done in this forum. It really is not a book to enthuse or assist a beginner. For that audience, it's the wrong choice for reasons of complexity, coverage and cost (in addition to which it's not well-written or edited, and the point-size of body and caption text is uncomfortably tiny - but that's another story).
I don't keep a close-enough handle on that end of the market to produce a reliable recommendation, but I'd far rather see a beginner go for (e.g.) one of these:
UK-only + no rarities = much-reduced confusion.
And, with the 2nd, learn also a whole load of stuff about the birds' ecology, etc, etc, as well as ID.

Hi atlantic and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Indeed Linnet they are. Note the grey head, streaky breast and the silver flash in the wing; just visible in the right hand bird. To read more about them have a look through our Opus article: Common Linnet - BirdForum Opus

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hello Frank,
I agree with Butty on both points
  • Yes, the Collins Guide is surely a ,must have' for any birder. But the incredible amount of information gathered there might well confuse even the more advanced birders. I can't think of any solution to this, it's clearly a big thank you to the authors. And the book is well worth buying as a reference enycyclopedy for the book shelf.
  • Yes, there are many other ID books. Which one you choose is dendent on your personal choice. My father liked this one https://www.kosmos.de/de/was-fliegt-denn-da-das-original_1099776_9783440165157 Guessing from your Location, that you can speak and understand German. Oh yes, much guessing .....

What's recommended from your 'side of the market'? Still field guides, or something else?
I agree with the general sentiment---that Collins is too much. However, I think there's value in having an additional all-Europe guide, in part as a way to inspire people.

I used Hayman's a lot in the era before mobiles because it was so small. There's that photo guide I've heard good things about: "all Britain's birds" or some such. Was free in electronic form recently.

The Collins app is a much better alternative out in the field as opposed to the book. The ability to play the calls/ songs is a bonus especially this time of year. The compare function is very handy as well. A second hand edition of the book would be cheap on Amazon etc especially if you buy a earlier edition which would be fine for a beginner.

Hello Frank,
I agree with Butty on both points
  • Yes, the Collins Guide is surely a ,must have' for any birder. But the incredible amount of information gathered there might well confuse even the more advanced birders. I can't think of any solution to this, it's clearly a big thank you to the authors. And the book is well worth buying as a reference enycyclopedy for the book shelf.
  • Yes, there are many other ID books. Which one you choose is dendent on your personal choice. My father liked this one Was fliegt denn da? Das Original Guessing from your Location, that you can speak and understand German. Oh yes, much guessing .....

Heh. Thanks for the recommendation, I will try to find a copy and see how well I manage. Bird names in different languages should keep me on my toes :ROFLMAO:

To my slight embarrassment, I have to admit that, even though I have been living here since 2006, my German is still quite bad. My skills, unfortunately, don't go a lot beyond buying bread at the supermarket. Work is 99% English, home is the most awful mix of languages, which would drive purists crazy (mix French, Dutch, English and the occasional (Swiss-)German in a sentence, with several persons talking at a time, and you'll get there ...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back