• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canada- Central Alberta October 2 (1 Viewer)

KhostAdenplusmore

Hello,
I photographed a bird today which has me a bit puzzled.
It landed for a few moments near the top of a large spruce tree, in a rural agricultural area. My initial impression was "Say's Pheobe", but as I examine the three photos I took, it seems to have a quite obvious dark eye-line which makes me question that ID, and I am considering if it might be a Vireo. Ideas?
Thanks, z.

Attachments

• _DSC3656 (2).jpg
    _DSC3656 (2).jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 124
  • _DSC3657 (2).jpg
    _DSC3657 (2).jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 124
  • _DSC3658 (2).jpg
    _DSC3658 (2).jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 124
The nearest I can get to this image, thinking that the dark area below the belly is shadow? Why not a Northern Wheatear?

Cheers

This appears to be a Rusty Blackbird, RafaelMatias is spot on that the structure is off for a Bluebird. In addition to what he mentions, the primary extension on a Bluebird would be significantly longer. Having a bit of a mask, is not uncommon for this time of year and is another point against Bluebird.

I'm a bit surprised there haven't been more opinions on this thread, one way or another. I've been offline since my post above and only now I'm seeing both supporting reactions to my Blackbird suggestion (which I still think is right).

This appears to be a Rusty Blackbird, RafaelMatias is spot on that the structure is off for a Bluebird. In addition to what he mentions, the primary extension on a Bluebird would be significantly longer. Having a bit of a mask, is not uncommon for this time of year and is another point against Bluebird.
Before reading any comments, I went through the same candidates being discussed in this thread. My mind first went to Mountain Bluebird, but I discounted it after a brief consideration on the length and thickness of the bill. After reading the discussion, I think the comments on primary projection are an even stronger point against bluebird than anything I had deduced on my own. I would have guessed this to be Brewer’s>Rusty by bill shape. The culmen looks pretty straight to me. What points favor Rusty>Brewers Blackbird ?

I would have guessed this to be Brewer’s>Rusty by bill shape. The culmen looks pretty straight to me. What points favor Rusty>Brewers Blackbird ?
I'd think the dark eye (if true) rules out Rusty (in this I disagree with Indobirder above). Habitat seems also better for Brewers. Bill shape is a bit awkward to figure out from this angle, maybe not possible from these pics.

I'm not sure I trust bill shape/size or apparent eye colour from these images. I'm on the fence actually between Rusty v Brewer's. It seems pretty dull, lacking the warmer tones typical of rusty but on the other hand, the pronounced supercilium and seeming darker lores/eye line are more in line with Rusty. As to habitat, at this time of year Rusty often join other blackbirds in agricultural areas so that's not overly useful

Thanks so very much for the inputs about this bird. I week later I did see a group of Rusty Blackbirds in very near location to this site. This particular bird does not seem to have the most obvious plumage to distinguish it between Rusty or Brewers, so I have listed it as Rusty/Brewers Blackbird for now

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back