• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

another Empidonax question. Central Alberta, Canada (1 Viewer)

KhostAdenplusmore

Hello,
As this question concerns an Empidonax Flycatcher, and I have only a sort of obscured photo, and never heard any vocalization, I realize that it is likely that certainty is not a likely outcome, but I will try.
on the bit of land where I have been walking, by far the most commonly seen Empidonax Flycatcher is the Least Flycatcher. Yesterday, while walking near a somewhat wooded creek, with poplars and spruce around, but also soon open lawn areas, I glimpsed a flycatcher fly into a low, large bush on a small slope, surrounded by tall grass. In the quick glimpse I noticed that the chest of the bird appeared to be much more yellow than I have ever noticed any other Least Flycatcher to be.
I tried to get a photo, and was able to get 1 poor picture. The only clear thing I can get from the photo is that the primary projection of the wings appears to be very short. This would seem to lean towards the bird being a Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus), as would be most expected, but perhaps does not entirely rule out Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (Empidonax flaviventris). As well, perhaps the belly, that can be seen appears to be somewhat mottled, and not so clearly white as I would usually see on a Least Flycatcher. But this is not clear.
I did not hear any vocalizations from this bird as I was trying to observe it.
Do you think there is enough here to say that the bird is very probably a Least Flycatcher, or a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, or just put it down as an indeterminant Empidonax flycatcher?
thanks,
z

Attachments

• _DSC5016-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    _DSC5016-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back