• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canada Geese flying at night in a snowstorm (1 Viewer)

LeadLenses

Hello all, I am usually over on the optics forums of Birdforum, but I experienced weird bird behavior and figured I would ask here.
I spent the day at a ski resort here in Pennsylvania and I heard a huge flock of geese flying above, with fleeting views of the V formation due to the falling snow. Hours later as I was packing up (7 pm), those Canada Geese were still flying around and honking in the snowstorm. Thinking this is odd behavior, I attempted to look it up, but found nothing. My best guess is they were trying to stay warm, as it was about 17* F.
So, am I off the mark? I see there is another recent post about Canada Geese. Maybe there is no explaining their weird behavior. Why do you think a huge flock of Canada Geese were flying at night as a mild snowstorm was passing through?

Hello all, I am usually over on the optics forums of Birdforum, but I experienced weird bird behavior and figured I would ask here.
I spent the day at a ski resort here in Pennsylvania and I heard a huge flock of geese flying above, with fleeting views of the V formation due to the falling snow. Hours later as I was packing up (7 pm), those Canada Geese were still flying around and honking in the snowstorm. Thinking this is odd behavior, I attempted to look it up, but found nothing. My best guess is they were trying to stay warm, as it was about 17* F.
So, am I off the mark? I see there is another recent post about Canada Geese. Maybe there is no explaining their weird behavior. Why do you think a huge flock of Canada Geese were flying at night as a mild snowstorm was passing through?
In my life time, I have never seen flying Geese in such cold weather when I lived in the central part or when I lived in the northernmost part of upstate New York(Adirondacks). It does seem very odd ?

I don't know many birds that migrate in January, but otoh other species of geese fly over the Himalaya twice a year, so this might be business as usual for these...

Birds usually don't fear cold, as long as they have food or enough reserves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back