• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canada Goose Aquabatics (2 Viewers)

gsimonel

United States
The Canada Goose is usually pretty staid--curious, perhaps a little arrogant, but generally rather phlegmatic. So I was quite surprised a few days ago when, at a lake in Northern Virginia, I saw geese in a large flock sporadically taking turns rolling onto their backs, splashing around, and kicking their feet into the air. I'd never seen this behavior before. Really, it looked quite undignified, but they did seem to be enjoying themselves.

I tired to get a shot of them, but the random nature of their behavior made it impossible to predict when they might do this. But when I got home I was pleased to discover that I had caught one in the act. So I hope you can enjoy a little bit of goose frivolity. I was very entertaining at the time.

Attachments

• GooseFrivolity_LFx_2-3-24_0171.jpg
    GooseFrivolity_LFx_2-3-24_0171.jpg
    822.7 KB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back