• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I help? Lonely Canada Goose (1 Viewer)

buckeyedriver

United States
I've noticed a Canada goose always in my front yard for the past two or three weeks during most of the day. I'm assuming it's partner has died or the flock has abandoned it. I live near lake Erie and a long Beaver Creek which empties into lake Erie so it is likely that it will find another flocked to try and join. I'm assuming it stays close to the house for the same reason the deer leave their babies around the house during the day for protection from the coyotes and predators in the 40-plus acres behind me. I'm usually a believer in letting nature run its course but for some reason I have a heart for this little guy possibly because I have the ability to be home this year, I'm usually a truck driver and have watched this animal's behavior many hours of my life throughout the country at the shipping facilities with their retention ponds usually being a safe haven for them.
Just reaching out to see what the thoughts are on doing anything for this goose or if the majority opinion is just let nature be nature? I haven't really tried to approach it but it doesn't seem to be terribly territorial, it doesn't begin to slowly take a couple steps away from me until I'm about 10 ft away from it while walking out to get the mail.
Thank you.

PXL_20230421_234315183.jpg

Yes, stay away from the nest and avoid going near it. That might help with a new batch hopefully.

Welcome aboard from those of us on BirdForum ;)

Yes, stay away from the nest and avoid going near it. That might help with a new batch hopefully.

Welcome aboard from those of us on BirdForum ;)
Thanks for the reply.

Not sure where the nest is at. Assuming it did not stay back to take care of any eggs. I've researched a little on why a goose would be without flock or a mate. Just hope a new flock/mate is easier for it to find than it is for people nowadays, and before a predator gets it. We have too many coyotes in small area (about 40ish acres of woods) surrounded homes and busy streets. Any real farmland or protected land is about 10 minute drive south of the lake and suburbs. Wish they were better predators of groundhogs though...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230422-103127_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230422-103127_Chrome.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I’m not aware of you mentioning a nest? Yes, it is best to leave the goose to its own devices.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back