• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canadian pelagics (1 Viewer)

screaming piha

I posted this in the Canada info section and go no response, so I'm giving it a try here in case the seabirders can help.

Are there any bird-orientated pelagic trips from Vancouver or elsewhere in that part of Canada?

If not, would a visitor see much in the way of seabirds from whale watching boat trips in August?

Many thanks

Ive never heard of any pelagic trips specifically, but there might be I guess.

Loads of nice seabirds (auks mostly) breed west coast of Canada and northwards and I would imagine by August the majority of them would be leavign breeding sites, so sure that you would see some decent stuff from a whale watching trip, i.e. at the very least whales! and lots of seabirds associate with cetaceans so you must stand a chance of some goodies...go on be a pioneer, and make us all want to go there next August!

There are few, if any, dedicated bird watching pelagics in Canada. Ferries from Cape Brition to Newfoundland and from Vancouver to Victoria are the most common ways to see birds. There are also a number of other west coast ferries that you can try. Companies such as Peregerine Adventures offer ship based ecotours in the Canadian Arctic and across to Greenland. Other companies offer ship based ecotours in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and around Newfoundland.

Although the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria island would seem to be the best bet, I have found it unproductive (Aug/05). if you go, please report what you find.

If you are up for a road trip from Vancouver, there is a great Pelagic trip across the border in Washington State, U.S. My guess is it would be at least 5 hours drive.

You can find out further here: Westport Seabird Pelagics (Google it, as my link was causing a browser freeze in Firefox for some reason)

Last edited:
There are whale watching tours out of Victoria and Tofino on the isloand that may produce some inshore pelagics. I had puffins, guillemot, murres and the like along with a few sooty shearwaters from Tofino. There are no operators out of Vancouver as far as I know.

Thanks birderbf

Tofino is one of the places he is going to. I think the in-shore seabirding will be special enough for a European's first Pacific experience. Maybe he will convince someone to point their craft out to sea.

I just spoke with a friend in Victoria and there is apparently plenty of whale watching trips available. I have never been past Victoria so really don't know what might occur in the pacific but clearly lots of gulls and rhino auk in the Victoria area.

Most whale trips are for Orcas but there are grey whale expeditions also.

Hi
Actually there is the most amazing trip you can do which does not cost the earth. I am looking at doing it again myself sometime in 2008. Using the services of BC ferries and the Alaska Marine highway you can experience what is termed the inside passage the goes up the Northwestern coast of Canada and into Alaska and back..anyone else interested?

I'm up for that Pelagic King! I'm heading that way in April 2008 for a couple of weeks birding but can't drive and the bc ferries seem the best way to get around a bit. Do you mean taking one of the ferries north from port hardy on vc island upto Alaska? Thanks. Henerz.

Ok here goes...........
Take BC ferries from Swartz Bay to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island and then coach it up to Port Hardy. From there we would go through the Inside passge to Prince Rupert on BC Ferries. Worth stopping here for few nights to take the BC ferry to the Queen Charlotte Islands. Then back to Prince Ruper to take the Alaskan Marine Highway ferry system north to Wrangell ending in Juneau. Fly back to Vancouver from Juneau. Absolutely Loads to see still interested???

Does certainly sound good. Is aleutian tern possible in April up there? What other specialities up that way north?

Here are some of the specialities you may well find up in this region alcids, loons, cormorants, and gulls. Alcid species include large numbers of Ancient Murrelet, Marbled Murrelet, Cassin's Auklet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Common Murre, and Pigeon Guillemot. Tufted Puffin are less common but may be seen from the southern waters near the small rocky islands they use for nesting. Horned Puffin are rare but can be seen with Tufted Puffin near some of the nesting sites.....just for starters.

The choice of trips in April is limited though. There is one which runs from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert but it's overnight and obviously that would mean no birding. My dates are pretty cast in stone so probably won't be able to do that trip north. Sorry. Henry.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back