• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7x42 AWP Binoculars: inexpensive large exit pupil bins? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

I guess a few folks hear have a hankering for lower magnification bins (especially 7x42 bins). And whilst looking at the Canon bins page I noticed the Canon 7 x 42 AWP Binoculars. The only non-IS bins Canon makes, AFAICT.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=129&modelid=9837

Features
42mm objective lens and Aspherical eyepiece elements with 6m exit pupil for clear and bright image.
Multi-coated lead-free optics and phase-correction coated roof prism for superior image quality.
Nitrogen-filled waterproof construction.
Metal body and rubberized non-slip grip.

Specs

Magnification 7x
Objective Lens Effective Diameter 42mm
Real Field of View 7°
Apparent Field of View 45° (using the "correct" AFOV calculation)
Exit Pupil Diameter 6mm
Eye Relief 17mm
Prism Type Roof-prism
Eye Width adjustment 59-73mm
Closest Focusing Distance 13.1 ft./4m
Dimensions 127 x 152 x 52 mm / 5.0 x 6.0 x 2.0in.
Weight 26.5 oz./750g

Certainly not the widest FOV or AFOV which seems to be half the reason for using 7x the other half is less shake and a larger exit pupil. Plus the close focus is a little far away for a roof prism.

The "review" on their site seems honest enough

Pros: top perfomance, rugged build, incredible value
Cons: some may not like eyecup

I own Leica and Zeiss optics so I'm familiar with top quality optics. These binoculars measure up in so many areas. As for construction, they lack nothing. My only small personal complaint is that the eyecups are not comfortable for me - they are for my wife so it's a matter of personal taste. They are rugged and they perform optically with binos costing many times more. I bought them because I used Canon SLR equipment for 30+ years and was always happy. Canon scored a hit again. Moreover, Canon saw the need for 7x42mm and filled it with a great product.

MAP is $249.

Newegg have them for $199

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16884101208

As does a Canon dealer in Florida for $199 shipped on eBay.

Interesting bin. Though not perfect.

If anyone has looked through one write up your thoughts.

Kevin: Funny you should spot the Canon 7x42, because I did the same by accident just the other day, for $199.99 (£136) at that 'avc' Miami dealer. I note the 8x32 version is also available at 'ubuycheap' in Arizona for $150 (£102). I'd assume these are old stock and not up to the latest models from other major makers, although the prices are quite attractive. I have the old classic Canon 7x50 binoculars which are very elegant, but the optics are just very good rather than superb...

Kevin,

The specs remind me very much of the Minox BD BR 7x42s I owned for a time. Optically impressive with tack sharp image quality, good edge performance and a bright image. The field of view was the only thing lacking in my opinion.

A few years ago I did try this model in a shop and was very disappointed. The optics seemed dim and of low contrast to me. I doubt that the sample I tried got phase correction coatings. Don´t know though, if Canon did improve the coatings of this model since then or even if they still do produce these roof prism binoculars.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back