• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Powershot sx50 hs or Fujifilm s4000 (1 Viewer)

Chidolly

Canada
Greetings. This is my 1st question.
Recently picked up birding (april) and we are kinda hooked. We are looking at used cheap cameras. Budget is Paramount.
My partner has looked at and just purchased a used p530 for 80$ CAD. I am on the hunt as well. I found 2... a s4000 (80$ CAD) and a SX50 HS (190). I have looked ad nauseam at reviews and specs and positives and negative. What are your opinions? My parameters are just walking around and taking photos of rarities for my city and pics for identification. Winter Birding obviously, but the odd night photo and landscape. A DSLR is NOT an option. Nor is spending more than the 190$.

Thank you.

Hi, and welcome to the hobby and to the forum! I normally use a Canon 7D, but I do also have a SX-70 that I picked up as it is much smaller and lighter. For the needs that you list, I would expect the SX50 to be a good fit except for the night photos. I have found that my SX-70 needs good lighting to perform reasonably well. The wide range of the optical zoom is a real plus to the design. The mirrorless design and the small battery size does eat through batteries, so I would advise having at least one extra battery to carry with you.

Hi, and welcome to the hobby and to the forum! I normally use a Canon 7D, but I do also have a SX-70 that I picked up as it is much smaller and lighter. For the needs that you list, I would expect the SX50 to be a good fit except for the night photos. I have found that my SX-70 needs good lighting to perform reasonably well. The wide range of the optical zoom is a real plus to the design. The mirrorless design and the small battery size does eat through batteries, so I would advise having at least one extra battery to carry with you.
Thanks for the reply. I have been on a flickr of a guy that did s4000 photos and had some very nice night photos. and have seen some beauties on the Canon sx50 tbh. I mostly want it for bird id but with added benefit of appealing to look at.
About battery, I have read that the s4000 is pretty good on battery. However that person has not gotten back to me.

Thanks for the reply. I have been on a flickr of a guy that did s4000 photos and had some very nice night photos. and have seen some beauties on the Canon sx50 tbh. I mostly want it for bird id but with added benefit of appealing to look at.
About battery, I have read that the s4000 is pretty good on battery. However that person has not gotten back to me.
Different people use cameras in different ways. If you ever only take a single image and shut down the camera right away you can probably use a camera for a week on one battery. If you leave it on between taking photos "just in case" you might need four in a day.
Niels

Yeah i agree with you the Sx50 would work better when there's enough light and very poor at night.

Yeah i agree with you the Sx50 would work better when there's enough light and very poor at night.
TY for the input. My main question was for the choice between the 2. I think after going on Flickr and looking around, i am choosing the canon. 110$ more, but i have seen some great pics, even some night beauties. I think for my low skill and expectations, this will be fine. I doubt they will even be good enough to post here lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back