• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canvey Island site gen (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
I see from BDS website that Canvey Island's thick with SMH, and people have ben seeing Southern ED (?).

Anyone know more details of SED sightings. And if anyone got the time to give directions to the site, or pinpoint it on a map, that would be much appreciated :)

Is Benfleet nearest station?

Cheers, Larry

I see from BDS website that Canvey Island's thick with SMH, and people have ben seeing Southern ED (?).

Anyone know more details of SED sightings. And if anyone got the time to give directions to the site, or pinpoint it on a map, that would be much appreciated :)

Is Benfleet nearest station?

Cheers, Larry

Took me quite some time to figure out what you were talking about here Larry!

Interestingly, both species you mention, share a very similar range.

A

Last edited:
I understand that up to 20 SMH are being seen at the well known ditch near Benfleet. I believe that this is the same ditch where a male Southern Emerald was photographed. There are plenty of Scarce Emeralds present.

Larry. Yes Benfleet is the nearest railway station, and only about a 10-15 min walk.
The ditch itself is alongside a public right of way so no access issues.

Head south from Benfleet Station on the B1014 (Canvey Road) towards the roundabout where the A130/ B1014 join. Just before the roundabout and opposite Waterside Farm is the public footpath that leads to the ditch. When we visited last year the ditch was quite dry in places but was still attracting the SMH.

I have the ditch starting at TQ77918527 and I walked to TQ76928565 when I visited at the beginning of August 2017. Room for about three or four cars at the start.

I visited on 3rd July 2018 and parked where Paul suggests.There were double figures of Southern Migrant Hawkers along the ditch including a pair in cop. I found a single Southern Emerald Damselfly at the base of a bush on top of the sea wall defence, roughly opposite the start of the ditch. The whole area is awash with Scarce Emerald Damselflies, Ruddy Darters and Essex Skippers. Good luck,

John

Attachments

• xDSC04369A.jpg
    xDSC04369A.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • xDSC04471a.jpg
    xDSC04471a.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 39
  • xDSC04808a.jpg
    xDSC04808a.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 34
  • xDSC04873a.jpg
    xDSC04873a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • xDSC04959a.jpg
    xDSC04959a.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 49
Hi all,

Timely thread as planning on going on Monday - probably late am arrival if folk want to pool efforts. Any news, especially on the SMH and SED would be great to hear. I believe the area is also good for brown banded carder bee and maybe shrill carder bee - though grateful for news of any sightings!

Thanks, P

Hi all,

I believe the area is also good for brown banded carder bee and maybe shrill carder bee - though grateful for news of any sightings!

Thanks, P

I took these images at Canvey Wick RSPB, just down the road from the dragonfly ditch.

Any comments on ID would be very welcome.

John

Attachments

• DSC05180a.jpg
    DSC05180a.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • DSC05185a.jpg
    DSC05185a.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • DSC05234a.jpg
    DSC05234a.jpg
    856.9 KB · Views: 22
Hi all,

Timely thread as planning on going on Monday - probably late am arrival if folk want to pool efforts. Any news, especially on the SMH and SED would be great to hear. I believe the area is also good for brown banded carder bee and maybe shrill carder bee - though grateful for news of any sightings!

Thanks, P

Fancy teaming up Paul? I can go Monday.

About a dozen people there this morning but no sign of Southern Emeralds but must be the best UK place to see Southern Migrant Hawker- a male patrolling every few metres along the dyke. I counted c30 males + observed the only female perched in cop with a male in the Sea Club-rush.

Amazing to see so many in the UK. Otherwise 100+ Ruddy Darter + large numbers of Scarce Emerald. Little else in the way of Odonata. Did see a Water Ladybird + lots of commoner butterflies. One person did see a Clouded Yellow which seem pretty scarce this year.

Visited this fantastic spot today, 1015-1200. The now famous ditch held a territorial male Southern Migrant Hawker seemingly every 20m or so, stopped counting at 20. Amazing views if you stand in the ditch (mostly dry near the eastern end, wetter to the west) with males hovering at eye level. Loads of Scarce Emerald Damselflies (50+ in first 400m of ditch) and abundant ruddy darter.

Other wildlife for those interested included abundant lesser marsh and meadow grasshoppers, 2 short-winged conehead, wasp spider and a six belted clearwing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back