• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Capercaillie in Scotland - possible recovery? (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

Early research is indicating a recovery of Capercaillie numbers in some sites. It also suggests that the birds are able to coexist alongside predators such as Goshawk and Pine Marten.

Hopefully research from other sites show a similar recovery or at least stabilisation of numbers, but I expect there'll be variation from site to site as local conditions and ecologies influence their populations.

One would presume that they have coexisted with Goshawk, Pine Marten and numerous other predators for thousands of years.
It’s human interference that has led to their decline
I'd absolutely agree with this. The Speyside site I was still able to find numbers of Capercaillie at until a few years ago is defunct due to being clear-felled out across a wide area. I couldn't believe it considering the way the population was declining at the time. Humans are the problem, with unbridled capitalism at the heart of it.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back