• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Capital Birding (1 Viewer)

Andy Wraithmell

aka Limeybirder
I live in Tallahassee and bird the capital at least 5 times a week. There are literally dozens of great birding sites in the city & Leon County area.

Today at Lake Lafayette Heritage Park:

10 Black-bellied Whistling Ducks
3 Blue-winged Teal
2 Wood Ducks
8 Forster's Terns
2 Laughing Gulls
2 Ring-billed Gulls
1 Orchard Oriole
1 Eastern Kingbird

Also had my first Mississippi Kite of the spring over my office building today as well and singing Summer Tanager & Yellow-throated Vireo in my yard.

Today at the Tram Rd Holding Ponds.

7 Semipalmated Sandpipers
20 Least Sandpipers
9 Mississippi Kite
3 Swallow-tailed Kite
3 Cattle Egret
1 Snowy Egret
36 Laughing Gull
18 Barn Swallow
3 Double-crested Cormorant

tramrd1885.jpg

Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers

On the big lake in Southwood this afternoon there was an adult Glossy Ibis feeding with a small flock of White Ibis.
Single Solitary Sandpipers were present on the small retention pond near the Southwood Community Center and the flooded hollow on Biltmore Avenue. 3 Least Sandpipers were present on the latter as well.
5 Northern Rough-winged Swallows were sitting out the thunderstorm on the barbed wire fence along Biltmore Ave.

12 Least Terns at Springhill Sewage Plant just east of Tallahassee airport. View holding ponds visible from Capital Circle.

Single Least Tern & 3 Northern Rough-winged Swallows at Lake Elberta 1/4 mile south of FSU football stadium on Lake Bradford Rd.

Yesterday at Lake Lafayette

27 Black-bellied Whistling Ducks

pictures on my blog (see link below)

Today at Tram Rd Holding Ponds

1 White-rumped Sandpiper
1 Long-billed Dowitcher
38 Semipalmated Sandpiper
8 Least Sandpiper
2 Snowy Egret
1 Mississippi Kite

Pictures on my Facebook page (see link below)

Today at the holding ponds on Tram Rd

1 White-rumped Sandpiper
2 Spotted Sandpiper
21 Semipalmated Sandpiper
3 Least Sandpiper
3 Cattle Egret
1 Eastern Kingbird

pictures on my Facebook page

At Tram Road Holding Ponds today

1 Black-bellied Plover
2 Semipalmated Sandpiper
3 Least Sandpiper
24 Mississippi Kite

Attachments

• tramrd1924.jpg
    tramrd1924.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 42
Mississippi Kites were putting on a show at Tram Rd Holding Ponds/Spray fields today. Season high count of 46 today, which should increase to 100+ by the end of June. 3 Swallow-tailed Kites and 2 Snowy Egrets were really the only other birds of note.

Lake Lafayette at lunchtime today

9 Black-bellied Whistling Ducks
1 Laughing Gull
1 White Ibis
3 Green Heron
1 Osprey
1 Red-shouldered Hawk
1 White-eyed Vireo

Tropical Storm Debby, apart from buckets full of rain, brought us 2 Magnificent Frigatebirds, which on the whole was quite a bizarre experience...especially when one was being mobbed by an Eastern Kingbird! There are pictures on my Facebook page if you are interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back