• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Car binoculars (3 Viewers)

Mine have also improved as my overall collection does… currently:

Nikon monarch 5 8x42
Zeiss victory 8x20
Swarovski curio 7x21

I keep my Gen 1 Vortex DB 10x42 binoculars in the truck 100% of the time. Ive used them for birding, stargazing, and looking at deer when Im waiting in the car for whatever reason. Usually Im waiting while my wife runs into a store. They've been in my truck for about the past 7 year and they are still pristine. The Gen 1 is the older version (non HD) and I'm surprised you can still find them around the $100 mark new. I just checked MidwayUSA which is where I got them years ago and they are still available. These would be my choice.

Last edited:
I have a question the relates to having too many binoculars and too many excuses lol. Recommendations for a "car binocular?" I had my Athlon Midas 10x50s in the car while doing a day of errands with the family, and I used them to spot a plane while waiting in the parking lot (wife did shopping), then at another place was able to spot a swarm of cicadas howling in the trees among a Cardinal hopping around!

Then some guy cut us off and my kid used them to check out who it was since he sped off LOL.

I thought, "I need binoculars in the car!" Compact and ones that can take the extreme heat and extreme cold if put in a nice case -can the optics take it and I thought about the rubber parts but it seems like other people have done this. Heat more so since it's already 90 degrees today in NC.

I thought of these 4:
Steiner Military Marine (2038 series) 7x50
Oberwerk Sport ED 8x42
Monarch M5 8x42
Vortex Diamondback 8x42
I would expect the Diamondbacks to hold up well with the temperature fluctuations and car vibration. And if they don't, the Vortex warranty is excellent. Also, if you like your Midas 10x50, have you considered the Midas 8x42? In my experience, optics with sturdy construction hold up best in cars over the long-term. Also, if you're hoping for something compact, have you considered an 8x32 or 10x32?

In my Sprinter van I keep a Mark I pair of Swaro 8x32s. The Mark II version is my main working bin, so it's usually with me when I'm camping. The older Mark I is there as a backup or a loaner for research assistants. It saves the day at least twice a year. In my boat I keep a Kowa BD II 6.5x32. The 6.5x power is quite stable in a small boat. In my regular car I keep a pair of Zeiss Victory 10x25s. The 10x25s were relegated to car duty when they were replaced by Swaro CL Curio 7x21s, which are the bins I keep with me when I'm not working. Bottom line: I'm never anywhere without a bin, and I seldom have fewer than two on hand at any given time. Of course, my work involves using binoculars, so it's an occupational hazard. My bins are tools that are put to hard use, and I just can't afford to lose research time because I don't have a spare on hand. I learned this the hard way on a trip to Baja , long ago, when my Zeiss Victory 7x42s fogged.

In my Sprinter van I keep a Mark I pair of Swaro 8x32s. The Mark II version is my main working bin, so it's usually with me when I'm camping. The older Mark I is there as a backup or a loaner for research assistants. It saves the day at least twice a year. In my boat I keep a Kowa BD II 6.5x32. The 6.5x power is quite stable in a small boat. In my regular car I keep a pair of Zeiss Victory 10x25s. The 10x25s were relegated to car duty when they were replaced by Swaro CL Curio 7x21s, which are the bins I keep with me when I'm not working. Bottom line: I'm never anywhere without a bin, and I seldom have fewer than two on hand at any given time. Of course, my work involves using binoculars, so it's an occupational hazard. My bins are tools that are put to hard use, and I just can't afford to lose research time because I don't have a spare on hand. I learned this the hard way on a trip to Baja , long ago, when my Zeiss Victory 7x42s fogged.
Yes redundancy is the key word here, you can’t have enough binoculars!

I used to keep my Zeiss 8x30 Safari in the car but then changed it to a Leica 10x25. I realize that I don’t have a binocular in my car right now because the 10x25 on a trip to Portugal…thanks to Birdforum i will spend this Saturday deciding which one i will put in my car.

The candidates: Leica UVHD 7x42 or 8x32, Leica Trinovid 8x42 BN or i will buy a cheap Porro with higher magnification, has to be waterproof. The wife says NO. Oh well, I guess i will put the Habicht 10x40 GA in the car. It can take a beating and i like the 10x magnification.

I put my car bins to good use yesterday on the way past a good birding spot, an enjoyable lunch break - 3 different types of plover all showing nicely.

The bins are Visionary wetland 8x42's. A relatively narrow field of view but seemingly with quite a lot of field curvature and rolling ball distortion. The centre isn't especially sharp either and they are quite dim. The focuser has a laissez-faire approach to reaching nice sharp focus. Chromatic aberration isn't a big problem as it's hidden effectively behind the veil of general blurriness. If they weren't in the car they would be in the bin.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back