• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Car hire in Guatemala (1 Viewer)

Jon Gallagher

While the basic cost of hiring a car in Guatemala is low (see Ross Gallardy’s trip report from 2021) what shocked me was the cost of insurance. Europcar offered three levels of insurance, running from basic third-party at $40 per day up to fully comprehensive at $125 per day. Obviously this greatly increases the cost, which at a daily rate of $125 makes insurance prohibitive. Yes, you can choose to use your own insurance or that available through your credit card, BUT that means you have to pay up front for any damage to your car or any third party and then try to claim it back. So if you totaled the car you would be on the hook for say $12,000, and I for one don’t have that kind of credit limit on my card. When I raised this with Europcar they smiled and didn’t say what would happen in this case. They said the rates they charged were due to the high costs charged to them by insurance companies. (On a side note they were also extremely picky about the slightest scratch on the car when returned.) Just be aware.

While the basic cost of hiring a car in Guatemala is low (see Ross Gallardy’s trip report from 2021) what shocked me was the cost of insurance. Europcar offered three levels of insurance, running from basic third-party at $40 per day up to fully comprehensive at $125 per day. Obviously this greatly increases the cost, which at a daily rate of $125 makes insurance prohibitive. Yes, you can choose to use your own insurance or that available through your credit card, BUT that means you have to pay up front for any damage to your car or any third party and then try to claim it back. So if you totaled the car you would be on the hook for say $12,000, and I for one don’t have that kind of credit limit on my card. When I raised this with Europcar they smiled and didn’t say what would happen in this case. They said the rates they charged were due to the high costs charged to them by insurance companies. (On a side note they were also extremely picky about the slightest scratch on the car when returned.) Just be aware.
Using a Europe based rental broker such as carrentals.co.uk or rentalcars.co.uk will sometimes allow you to choose a vehicle with complete (or near complete) coverage included in the rental price listed. At least then you are not going to be surprised when in front of the rental counter. Otherwise, if I cannot find an offer including insurance, I use a rule of thumb of doubling the cost per day when renting in latin america.
Niels

Using a Europe based rental broker such as carrentals.co.uk or rentalcars.co.uk will sometimes allow you to choose a vehicle with complete (or near complete) coverage included in the rental price listed. At least then you are not going to be surprised when in front of the rental counter. Otherwise, if I cannot find an offer including insurance, I use a rule of thumb of doubling the cost per day when renting in latin america.
Niels
Good idea Niels! I also usually estimate a doubling of the cost for car rental when including insurance. But this came out at 6 times for complete coverage!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back