• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caribbean birding (1 Viewer)

dennis

Have binoculars. Will travel.
Hello all,

My wife and I will be taking a cruise this November. Starting in Puerto Rico, we will port on St. Thomas, Antigua, Dominica, St. Lucia and La Romano(Dominican Rep.). The bad news is that we will only have about 10 hours at each stop.

I would enjoy hearing from anyone who may have spent some time birding on these islands.

dennis

Only ten hours! Being in Blighty I would do anything for just one hour!

I hope you get some info and lots of birds too.

Good luck on the cruise, Dennis. I understand Dominica's national bird (depicted on its flag) is a brown or black-headed endemic parrot. All I have for now, but it would be a lovely sight!

Hi There

I did a two week Caribbean cruise a few years back, visiting some of the islands you will. It is surprising how much you can see in ten hours - on some islands we only had six!

St Thomas you should hire a car and drive around the coast, as the roads are good and signed well. On Antigua we managed to contact a very obliging local birder called Kevel Lindsey, and he took us around for the day; don't know if he is still there or not. On Dominican Republic there is an American ex Peace Corps called Kate Wallace in San. Domingo who might be able to whizz you round some of the birding spots.

We did not visit Dominica, just cruised past in a terrific thunder-storm. Two endemic parrots should be on in ten hours.

Best of luck - and remember to watch out for sea-birds while at sea.

Steve

Any chance of squeezing in Trinidad and Tobago? This small island just north of Venezuela has about 450 species of birds .... more than the other islands combined.

rka

Not this trip rka. Maybe in the future you can show me around your island? I'd love to see it.

dennis

Dennis
Niels Larsen lives on Dominica, so I'm sure he would have some tips for you for that island. And he's just posted a trip report for Puerto Rico on this forum. His forum name is njlarsen.

Good luck with your planning and enjoy the cruise.

I just saw this message, not having been on the forum for more than a week. Re Kate Wallace from DR, try looking at http://todytours.com/. I birded together with her and another guide from DR in Guadeloupe last week and they are good!

For Dominica, there is a couple of options: rent a car or hire the best local opportunity, Bertrand Jno Baptiste. If you want to see as much as possible, I would encourage you to contact Bertrand, send me a PM for his E-mail. If you will take your chances and go alone, the Syndicate area is the best IMHO; however, my success rate in seeing the Imperial parrot is only about 1 in 10 (much better when I have been with Bertrand, he seems to have a magical way of finding at least one). There are plenty of reports on the web describing the access to the Syndicate area, for example in Blake's trip report repository. Briefly, from the main road running N-S along the west coast, turn up the access road, which is well sign posted and found between Dublanc and Portsmouth. If you can find the place to buy it, you should bring a site pass. Along the lower half of the access road, red-legged thrush is quite common but easiest to see in low light situations like after sunset. The road is paved, narrow and winding, so take care with the driving. The road ends in the visitor center, but there is a sign earlier showing the entrance to the Nature trail. Follow the trail from that sign keeping right, and go to the overlook at the sign to the right. This used to be "outlook 1", I scarcely bather with the others. The overlook shows a nice forested hillside on the other side of the Picard river, with possibilities of seeing both parrots, lesser antillean swift, etc. Continuing along the nature trail, it will go paralel with the river for a while; after you have turned left, away from the river, you will eventually have the option of going right or straight, I mostly go right and end up at the visitor center, ending with following the paved road back to the sign. The forest here holds most of the sought after species, including e.g., ruddy quail-dove. The walk along the paved road back to the initial sign often gives more Jaco (red-necked parrots) than the overlook, as well as some open-land birds. Driving back a little, there is a trail for Mont Diablotin. The lower parts of this trail is a beautiful rainforest, and the place where forest thrush often have been most easy for me. Parrots are most active morning and afternoon, around noon is not all that great. I feel that Jaco is guaranteed in this area, Sisserou (imperial parrot) as I said is much more hit and miss.

Another place worth mentioning is Cabrits natl park in Portsmouth. After paying your dues, walk up the stone-pawed access to the old stone wall and into the grassy area. Right there, you may find the tropical mockingbird singing. Follow the right edge of the clearing, choose the trail in the far righthand corner and follow this trail to the end. turn right, and a little later turn left where a sign says battery and the left-hand fork goes down the hill towards the northern side of the peninsula. This is a good route for e.g., Elaenia, plumbeous warbler, etc. Last time I was there, a mangrove cuckoo was in show off mood.

HTH
Niels

Thanks for the information Niels. Future visitors will appreciate it.

As for myself, I managed to sight Brown Booby, Mag. Frigatebird, Broad-winged Hawk, Royal Tern, Rock Dove, Eurasian Collared-dove, Green-throated Carib, Antillian Crested Hummingbird, Gray Kingbird, Rufous-throated Solitaire, Brown Trembler and Lesser Antillian Bullfinch during my 8 hour cruise stop.

I'll be sure to drop you a line before any future visit.

Dennis

Hi Dennis
Do you have a copy of 'Where to watch birds in Central America, Mexico and the Caribbean by Nigel Wheatley and David Brewer'? It has information on birding areas on most of the Caribbean islands and may be worth checking out.
Tom

Thanks for the tip Tom.

On a similar note...... I will be on a cruise in March that will stop at Roatan Island, Honduras. Anyone have any information as to where a few hours of good birding might be had during my visit?

Dennis

Silly me!!!!

I noticed your website at the bottom of your post Tom. I'll be sure and check that out!

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back