• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caspian or Yellow-legged Gull, Teesside UK (1 Viewer)

chris65b

Saw this Gull on Sunday 08,01,23 down at Teesside, County Durham UK. Not sure if its a Caspian or Yellow-legged Gull. Every one who saw it there said
Caspian as there is at least two there at the moment but this bird isn't one of them so not sure.

Attachments

• P1217487b.jpg
    P1217487b.jpg
    580.4 KB · Views: 92
  • P1217487c.jpg
    P1217487c.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 91
  • P1217497tc.jpg
    P1217497tc.jpg
    615.3 KB · Views: 91
Hello,
I agree with Andy, it doesnt look like a "proper" 1st cycle Caspian Gull for me, too.

But I dont get a YLG vibe here, too. My thoughts:
  • you know, I trust observers opinions more than pictures and me, when it comes to Gulls (= I am biased against YLG)
  • I see some kind of variagated pattern on the scapulars=many different types
  • really extensive white greater coverts with only sparse barring
Is an Herring x Caspian Gull possible here? I hope for Lou and others to jump in. Thanks!

Hello,
I agree with Andy, it doesnt look like a "proper" 1st cycle Caspian Gull for me, too.

But I dont get a YLG vibe here, too. My thoughts:
  • you know, I trust observers opinions more than pictures and me, when it comes to Gulls (= I am biased against YLG)
  • I see some kind of variagated pattern on the scapulars=many different types
  • really extensive white greater coverts with only sparse barring
Is an Herring x Caspian Gull possible here? I hope for Lou and others to jump in. Thanks!

I saw this bird a couple of weeks ago at the same site and concluded, like you that it was most likely a hybrid. Aside from showing some features of both species (assume Herring x Caspian) its behaviour was striking. Very aggressive to other gulls present, constantly posturing and giving the 'long call' pose associated with Caspian. Certainly an odd-ball individual!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back