• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow legged or Caspian? - Istanbul Turkey (1 Viewer)

babuccu

Turkey
I photographed this individual this morning in İstanbul. Gulls are mostly Yellow legged in this hotspot of mine however this one I thought might be a Caspian gull. I’d be glad to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Attachments

• 3EBAE211-F6E6-4689-B37B-26F3938D9719.jpeg
    3EBAE211-F6E6-4689-B37B-26F3938D9719.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 74
  • 75BF116E-56B0-4ACD-8B5B-F9688B6B9375.jpeg
    75BF116E-56B0-4ACD-8B5B-F9688B6B9375.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 29
Hello,

other threads have shown, that shades/colours, contrasts and pattern are much better judged in the original pictures. Is it possible to see them? Thanks!

No offence you know, and when Caspian is such a rare bird at your location, I understand your request for a fast confirmation.

Yes, it might well be a 3cy Caspian Gull by dull/greenish tinge to the bill (and the right shape) and a pure white head without any indication of the dark YLG mask, present in many (at least) immature and winter plumaged YLG.
After helpful comments here on BF, I looked at them again more closely in SW-Germany last year. Thanks Lou, Steve, smiths, your new book and the older one by KMO and all here on BF!

More: I regular see white headed Caspian Gulls with some kind of eye-liner streak=mascara behind the eye like this bird here, but very rarely with YLG in SW Germany.
And a lack of a white mirror one p10 is well within variation for a immature Caspian Gull ???if yes, than thanks once more).

But I was reminded again, that its better to wait for he original pictures. And comments! Because, the mantle, if real, would be on the dark end of variation for a Caspian Gull...

Hello,

other threads have shown, that shades/colours, contrasts and pattern are much better judged in the original pictures. Is it possible to see them? Thanks!

No offence you know, and when Caspian is such a rare bird at your location, I understand your request for a fast confirmation.

Yes, it might well be a 3cy Caspian Gull by dull/greenish tinge to the bill (and the right shape) and a pure white head without any indication of the dark YLG mask, present in many (at least) immature and winter plumaged YLG.
After helpful comments here on BF, I looked at them again more closely in SW-Germany last year. Thanks Lou, Steve, smiths, your new book and the older one by KMO and all here on BF!

More: I regular see white headed Caspian Gulls with some kind of eye-liner streak=mascara behind the eye like this bird here, but very rarely with YLG in SW Germany.
And a lack of a white mirror one p10 is well within variation for a immature Caspian Gull ???if yes, than thanks once more).

But I was reminded again, that its better to wait for he original pictures. And comments! Because, the mantle, if real, would be on the dark end of variation for a Caspian Gull...
thanks for the comment stöhr. i had to rush to work and couldn’t have the chance to transfer the original photo. i will upload it as soon as i get back home. sorry for the inconvenience.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back