• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cats and birds (1 Viewer)

jasonptx

United States
So today i had been taking photos outside my window in South Texas of the various birds here. Several years ago i had a large window put it for the specific purpose of building a bird feeding station and fountain in front just for photographing. The birds found it and love it. Unfortunately the feral cats and roaming neighborhood cats did too. I've run then off, sprayed them with water and even put a couple of blow darts in the behinds of the worst perpetrators. Still, I'd find half eaten birds and just birds that had been chewed up.
Today, i took photos for s bit then took a break.. Within 5 minutes, i look back out the window and see a cat rolling around with a green jay. I immediately ran outside kicked the cat and grabbed the jay. Unfortunately, the jay had already lost an eye (pictured). I've got him in a tub now with water and food. Gonna have to find a vet..
Seriously considering trapping the cats and taking them far away lol
Of course he didn't know i was trying to help so he's in the photo biting my finger lol
Taken near Uvalde Texas today

Attachments

• 20231105_165812.jpg
    20231105_165812.jpg
    858 KB · Views: 4
I would definitely consider trapping them and relocating them yourself. I'm not sure it will make much of a difference though. Feral cats reproduce quickly. You would have to be vigilant for a while and relocate a lot of cats.

We have tons of them around my area too. They are all over around my farm and a really hard on the wildlife.

Not a cat expert, but afaik, coyotes are an effective cat predator. Are they prevalent in South Texas?
Of course this may be replacing one problem with another, but it should be less stressful for the birds.

It doesn't work particularly to it's best but it works with our city law of no pet cats allowed outside w/o a leash. It does help as long as someone reports the abuser.

In my state it is illegal to trap and relocate animals and it is not particularly humane to do this. I have trapped a skunk which I was lucky enough to release without getting sprayed and so I decided it was not a good approach.

I prefer to use a PCP pellet rifle and non lead (tin) pellets to discourage cats from entering my property. Few of the intruders are feral cats, but rather people's pet cat that they allow to roam free day and night.

The studies in the USA and in the UK have shown that the trap-neuter-release programs do nothing to reduce the feral cat population in an area. Of course the neutered cat still is forced to hunt for food so no improvement in terms of the local bird and amphibian and reptile populations in an area.

My cats are too lazy to chase birds, and I often see the neighbourhood magpies coming into the front garden to tease them 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back