• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding on a Foggy Morning (1 Viewer)

MohoNobilis

Hong Kong
This morning, I woke up and thought that it would be a good day to go out to the grounds of my school campus (near York, England) and officially start my first "casual birding session". As I stepped out, I noticed that it was cold and foggy and probably not ideal for birding...
That did not stop me from doing what I wanted to do, however. I managed to stay for an entire hour outside (but quickly went back to my room because it was too cold for me) and was happy to see a few birds in such weather. Here is a full list of the species that I have seen today:
-Rook
-Dunnock
-Common Wood-pigeon
-White Wagtail
-House Sparrow
-Eurasian Blackbird
-European Robin
-Great Tit

All of these species are regulars over here (though great tits and Eurasian blackbirds aren't that common when compared to the others). I haven't seen any rare species so far, but these birds still made my day - especially the European robins and rooks that I had forgotten to take photos of. Here are a few photos of the birds that I have taken today (the quality for most of these images are bad because I don't have a professional camera, sorry).

Attachments

• 8FCA3D38-5DCE-4F97-A73C-2592371B2C4A.jpeg
    8FCA3D38-5DCE-4F97-A73C-2592371B2C4A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 731D320D-5FCF-42C9-86E6-9B7FD76D967F.jpeg
    731D320D-5FCF-42C9-86E6-9B7FD76D967F.jpeg
    497 KB · Views: 4
  • A8DC7834-A85D-4B41-8D68-2B5827F8AD6A.jpeg
    A8DC7834-A85D-4B41-8D68-2B5827F8AD6A.jpeg
    685.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 7F6D3963-F7D4-4BAB-85E6-2F680D3F6DD8.jpeg
    7F6D3963-F7D4-4BAB-85E6-2F680D3F6DD8.jpeg
    985.7 KB · Views: 4
Reading your post made me think it might be worth you investing in some proper outdoor clothing - jacket, gloves, footwear and so on - that will let you be outdoors for longer stretches. I spent a large proportion of my youth in warmer lands than here, and have learned never to underestimate how cold it can feel, or how demoralizing cold can be. Some good birding can be had in the winter, but you need to be able to bird effectively when it's cold.

Reading your post made me think it might be worth you investing in some proper outdoor clothing - jacket, gloves, footwear and so on - that will let you be outdoors for longer stretches. I spent a large proportion of my youth in warmer lands than here, and have learned never to underestimate how cold it can feel, or how demoralizing cold can be. Some good birding can be had in the winter, but you need to be able to bird effectively when it's cold.
I will try to invest in some outdoor clothing when the weather is cold, and this school year, I have brought a down jacket to wear under my waterproof coat that I wear whenever I go birding, as well as some boots, gloves and waterproof shoes. Indeed, I have previously underestimated how cold it was due to me not getting used to the climate (and thinking that everywhere was usually as hot as my home region, which was obviously wrong due to the climate in the UK not being subtropical), and have learnt my lesson multiple times. I will make sure that I will be able to bird as effectively as possible this upcoming winter thanks to your advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back