• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron 8x32 & 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Rich_p

United Kingdom
Hi and apologies for the long first post!

I'm hoping someone can help me understand a variation I am seeing between 8x32 & 8x42 binoculars of the same range.

Although entry level this is my first venture into proper binoculars, not being sure which would suit me best I ordered a pair of 8x32 Nature DX and also a pair of 8x42 Nature DX so I could try both.

I prefer the weight of the 8x32 as they will be in a rucksack when walking but I am also likely to use them in poor light in the evenings when camping or even stopping off when out for an evening drive in the country side. They may also be used in grey and wet Welsh forests when watching rallying too so the bigger pair may make more sense.

Trying both my first impressions are they are quite similar (and far better than a cheapy pair of porro prism I've had forever) , there's not a lot in it in lower light but my eyes are more comfortable with and adjust quicker to the 42's when I put them up to my face (I wear glasses). I find it a bit easier to focus the 8x42 too. - That may be down to an overly light adjuster wheel on the smaller pair though.

To my eyes the 8x42 may be slightly clearer at distance but what I can't work out is that the 8x32 although not brighter, certain colours seem to stand out or "pop" ever so slightly more in some situations. Last night for example some bright pink flowers about 60 ft away seemed a little more vivid in the smaller pair.

Is this to be expected with 32 v 42 or is that just a variation due to manufacturing tolerances/quality of glass used in this price range of binoculars?

(on a side note when trying them out last night there was an obliging Mistle thrush hanging about letting me have a good look at him for quite a while!)

Thank you.

Hi and welcome.

As you have two binoculars to compare side by side it may be down to your personal choice.

I am not sure how safe it is to watch rallying in a forest near to the cars using a binocular?

Regards,
B.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome.

My post was probably a but rambling, but maybe should have been clearer with my actual question, is it normal for colours to appear more vivid in a 32 than in a 42? I'm just trying to work out if there is an issue with the 42's.

The rallying is perfectly safe, there are spectator areas set aside or when away from those, safely chosen spots.

We have volunteered as marshals in the past so don't take any risks :)

The difference in the vividness you are observing between the 32mm and 42mm binos could be related to a slight difference in light transmission values, and which end of the color spectrum might be emphasized slightly over the other. Even though these are from same Mfgr and series, they are built differently. Other people might look through your binos, even after you pointed out your observation, and notice no difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back