• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to easily extend binocular eyecups. (1 Viewer)

Megaloblatta

I have a pair of Maven B1.2 binoculars which I rate very highly. However, when I used them in the field for the first time on a recent month long trip to Indonesia, I was annoyed to find that I kept getting the kidney bean effect, no matter how carefully I adjusted them. I worked out that I had to hold them a few mm beyond my eyebrows to stop the blacking-out, and this wasn't satisfactory as I wanted them to rest just under my eyebrows so I could better steady them. After I got back to the UK I read up about how to extend the eyecups slightly, but the solutions were not that neat. I therefore decided to buy a sheet of 5mm adhesive-backed neoprene foam and cut 'washers' to fit on the front of the eyecups. When searching for this on eBay, I found a company called T&P Supplies, UK (tpsupplies2013 on eBay) which sold pre-cut contact adhesive-backed neoprene washers in a range of sizes and thicknesses. I bought a selection of 42mm outside diameter/32mm inside diameter hard neoprene and neoprene foam washers and used one hard 2mm rubber washer with a 3mm foam washer stuck on top of it, to extend my eyepieces. The contact adhesive feels firmly stuck, but time will tell. The eyecups are now a perfect length when I rest them below my eyebrows, and there is no more kidney beaning. What's more, they are more comfortable than they were originally thanks to the upper layer of neoprene foam (the eyecups are very firm rubber). Problem solved I hope...

Eyecups1.jpgEyecups2.jpg

Now that's interesting: they'd be ideal for slightly moving my Nikon 10x42 SE further away from my eyes. I push the rubber eyecups as far "up" as they can but at times could still use a little more distance between eyeball and glass. I need to obtain a second set of rubber eyecups though, in case I screw the gluing process up!

Now that's interesting: they'd be ideal for slightly moving my Nikon 10x42 SE further away from my eyes. I push the rubber eyecups as far "up" as they can but at times could still use a little more distance between eyeball and glass. I need to obtain a second set of rubber eyecups though, in case I screw the gluing process up!
The washers have a contact adhesive on one side. It is easy to remove from the eyecup rubber if you need to. If bits of the glue don't easily come off, then use masking tape to remove them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back