• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Cypress 7x30 (1 Viewer)

Six Point Five

The Celestron Cypress seems to have the same body as several other models (Leupold, Kowa, Eagle Optics), but it is 7x, rather than the usual 6x (which i found insufficient, with too much tunnel vision) or 8x (which i found insufficiently bright and sharp, with poor depth of focus).
The 7x30 may just be a good compromise for a decent AFOV and sharpness/brightness.
Has anyone looked through these?
I assume that at this price point there will be quite a bit of sample variation. I noticed some Yosemite 6x30 much better than others.

. To me this Cypress binocular seems to be almost identical to the Celestron Nature 8×30, which was being discounted a little while ago.
I thought that the magnification was about 6.7 times, I think others made it about 6.5 times.
The field marked on the 8×30 Nature is 8.2°, 430 feet at 1000 yards, 143 m at 1000 m.
The Nature is a nice binocular, fully coated with multi-coats and single coats including the prisms.

I think that they have simply stated that the binocular is 7×30, which is nearer the correct magnification.
In addition. I think that the true aperture was less than 30 mm on the Celestron Nature. I don't know if this is the same with the Cypress.

I grabbed 3 of those on your recommendation at buydig.
One pair needed a focuser fix but it was trivial. Great performance,
and they do look like 7x. I've given a few to some very happy
relatives.

Looks like they are out of them (they were $40)..
They are at amazon, but the $141 price is a bit silly.

The 7x30 Cypres has eased down to $57 at bhphotovideo,
so I think that's the equivalent at an OK price now.
The Cypress focuser looks a bit more rugged now.

By comparison, the Nikon 7x35 Aculon costs a bit more,
has a wider field, but the field is not as flat as the Celestron.

The Barska 8x30 Crossover is almost the same, but it has
a edges a little softer and is much easier to use with glasses.
I tend to grab that one as an 8x...it's so easy to slap to the eyes.
I got a deal on both.

7x is indeed great if you are torn between 6x and 8x.

Last edited:
. To me this Cypress binocular seems to be almost identical to the Celestron Nature 8×30, which was being discounted a little while ago.
I thought that the magnification was about 6.7 times, I think others made it about 6.5 times.
The field marked on the 8×30 Nature is 8.2°, 430 feet at 1000 yards, 143 m at 1000 m.
The Nature is a nice binocular, fully coated with multi-coats and single coats including the prisms.

I think that they have simply stated that the binocular is 7×30, which is nearer the correct magnification.
In addition. I think that the true aperture was less than 30 mm on the Celestron Nature. I don't know if this is the same with the Cypress.

Some binos come into the country under a dozen or more names, differing only in cosmetics, coatings (possibly) and price. It's interesting to watch two former friends argue over who has the better instrument, when you KNOW both came from the same hands in the same plant.

As the refrain says in, Where Have All the Flowers Gone, When will they ever learn?

Bill

Very often unlikely ... ;)

:smoke:

Keep it up :t:

I can't tell if you are having fun with me, or just trying to shut me down. I guess it really doesn't matter. As one of your country's former leaders said:

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it but, in the end, there it is."--Winston Churchill

Thus, I will let my comments stand as written; I usually do. They were congealed as the result of years in the industry, knowing some of the players (manufacturers) on a first name basis, being a friend to others, repeatedly dining with still others, and being on the inside of thousands of binoculars (and noticing too many similarities to rely on coincidence).

If anyone has a more thorough track record of the ins and outs of the industry, I will humbly bow to his experience. Although it is a rather mellifluous sound, I don't pipe up to hear my head rattle. In addition, I support everyone's right to believe what they want. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
I can't tell if you are having fun with me, or just trying to shut me down.

I am AGREEING with you, and thanks for posting !

I really tip my hat to the multi-forum reviewers who can milk every last drop of trivial, derivative and unimaginative content from what in reality amounts to simple sample variation amongst an endlessly revolving series of virtually identical OEM white label binoculars which are re-skinned, branded, imported, marketed and re-marketed to the beggars can still be birders market with the aim of charging each end customer as much as they will pay. ;)

I am AGREEING with you, and thanks for posting !

I really tip my hat to the multi-forum reviewers who can milk every last drop of trivial, derivative and unimaginative content from what in reality amounts to simple sample variation amongst an endlessly revolving series of virtually identical OEM white label binoculars which are re-skinned, branded, imported, marketed and re-marketed to the beggars can still be birders market with the aim of charging each end customer as much as they will pay. ;)

Then Sir:

YOU are on a slippery slope! If you know what you are talking about, you will be labeled a "know-it-all," and take barbs from those who would rather CHAT with casual observers about binoculars, than use the internet to have all their questions answered with authority.

Great learning CAN take place on forums like this. However, let's be honest. These forums are not about learning, but chatting and camaraderie. I do like to throw out a touch of realism, from time to time. But, chatting and camaraderie are the reasons I'm here! :cat:

Thus, . . . SAVE YOURSELF; RUN; HIDE!

Have a great day . . . tomorrow.

Bill

Last edited:
I grabbed 3 of those on your recommendation at buydig.
One pair needed a focuser fix but it was trivial. Great performance,
and they do look like 7x. I've given a few to some very happy
relatives.

Looks like they are out of them (they were $40)..

I got buydig's next to last 8x30 for $39 with free shipping. Just as a car bino, or perhaps to give to my daughter. Certainly it is inexpensively made, but a usable bino, especially for the price. Surprisingly good for $39!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back