• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

chafer ID (1 Viewer)

Strandman

Spent an enjoyable evening yesterday watching Hobbies and Kestrels catching chafers in the crowns of some oaks and in adjacent set-aside.

No pic as it was after 9PM- what is the most likely species in Suffolk? They were pale brown, light yellowy fur and very numerous...

white-back said:
Spent an enjoyable evening yesterday watching Hobbies and Kestrels catching chafers in the crowns of some oaks and in adjacent set-aside.

No pic as it was after 9PM- what is the most likely species in Suffolk? They were pale brown, light yellowy fur and very numerous...

aha- I have discovered that they are Summer Chafers.

hobbies

white-back said:
aha- I have discovered that they are Summer Chafers.

Hi white-back,
I was pleased to find i am not the only one watching Hobbies this summer. Also trying to read up on Chafers. One thing that i noticed was that after a long time of inactivity the birds seem to go into a feeding frenzy, in particular whilst feeding their young. Have you seen them chasing swalows etc? if so which species?
Martin
Suffolk

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back