• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chat about WNV (1 Viewer)

Beverlybaynes

Mod Squad
Let's expand the chat a bit, OK?

The summer of 2002 was a tough one, with West Nile Virus exploding across North America.

I live in Allen County, in northeastern Indiana, and I think we had one of the highest infection rates, for both human and avian cases, in the country. We had 75=100 confirmed human cases, including 2 or 3 deaths, and untold numbers of avian deaths.

The most obvious signs of it, to me, were these:

1. The loss of crows. I live in a small neighborhood full of mature maple, oak, and sycamore trees, and which includes a very small wooded park. We had at least two families of crows living here, which were ALWAYS around. I haven't seen nor heard a crow since early August.

Driving home from work in the afternoons, I used to regularly see an early evening roost of crows in a wasteland area between 2 railroad underpasses. Crows would flock here, literally in the thousands. No more.

In the past month, however, I am starting to see an occasional one or two crows, mostly on the south side of town, where I work. I'm still looking for crows on the near north side, where I live (I live in a city of approximately 220,000).

2. I recently started feeding birds again in my front yard (my feeders were down for several months, because I had so many wandering cats nearby, including one who is a real sweet little girl, and who has since been taken in by my neighbor). Since putting the feeders back up, I've noticed fewer birds. Only a couple of Blue Jays, where I used to have several. Fewer Cardinals, Chickadees and Titmouses. A little of this has been offset, though, by getting Fox Sparrows and Carolina Wrens to my feeders for the first time ever.

3. This was perhaps the toughest hit of all: I volunteer for a raptor rescue organization, Soarin' Hawk, and we have several education birds. The costs of caring for the WNV-ill birds we took in this summer (mostly Red-Tailed Hawks and Great Horned Owls) and the costs of vaccinating our ed birds nearly put us out of business. We were down to less than $200 in our checking account in late August. Then our most majestic ed bird, a magnificent Golden Eagle named Sullivan, contracted WNV and died. He had been with us for about 3 years, and it was a tremendous, tremendous loss.

This, too, has been offset a bit by the fact that we conducted a special appeal to our membership and the general public for assistance. Between that, and our annual fundraising auction in November, we managed to raise nearly $10,000 in the autumn.

I'm curious, now, about WNV has affected you this year. What have you seen or experienced?

I'm also curious about how you and/or your communities coped with WNV. Local government here resorted to mosquito fogging, which I personally think accomplished nothing except to pour more chemicals in our air. Not to mention how it probably aggravated the conditions of everyone dealing with respiratory illnesses.

So, who's next? What do you have to say?

Beverly,

We did not have any confirmed WNV cases this year. Luckily with the Rockies in the way, and by the time it got to CA, it was late in the season so Winter protected us. However, next year it is expected to arrive in full force, so will have to see what happens. That is very sad to hear about Sullivan.

I've just recently become "obsessed" with birds so I really can't compare. But I think your crows all flew West! I'm in NW Indiana and see quite a few.

Some of the communities around here also fogged and there was a good little bit of controversy over it. I live in a rural area so we weren't directly effected by it the fogging.

Hi, Janie! May I ask where in NW Indiana? Do you ever get up to the Dunes? Or get to Jasper-Pulaski? Or bird in your yard?

There's some GREAT birding in your area. All along the lakefront, of course. JP, Kingsbury, Kankakee, Kankakee Sands, Willow Slough, and on and on.

We live in southeastern North Carolina, just in from the ocean. There are areas here that are quite swampy, and as a result get an awful lot of mosquitoes. Luckily, the WNV did not affect NC too severely - only a few cases reported. I do expect next year to be much worse. They fog here quite often, and have done so even before WNV due to the mosquito infestation. I was sorry to hear of the loss of your eagle. I, too, volunteer for a wildlife rehab. center and I know how attached you can get to the animals and birds.

West Nile is bad Bev, but I have not seen a great drop in the bird population. We have had a greater number of Cardinals this year, and I have not seen a reduction in other species.

At Fernwood nature center, in Buchanan, Mich., the number and variety of birds I saw last weekend was impressive.

I think the WNV is spotty right now. My hope is that the birds develop an immunity. I have heard that that will eventually happen. Hope so. What else can we do?

Tim

Hi, the WNV was in our state but not in my county. We too have been plagued with many ferrel and free roaming cats. I found out you are best to go to Animal Control get a "have a heart cat trap catch the cat,and take it back to Animal Control. Free roaming cats, pick up many deseases,that are contagious to both humans and birds,and animals. They can spread these through their fecies. They are better off the streets. Hope your bird population increases soon !BBW.

We did not hear any reports on the WNV here... we do not as a rule have mosquitoes here and last year was our driest on record since 1968!
We are high desert country and are not expecting too dramatic a surge of this disease..I am dreadfully sorry to hear about your rehabbed Bird of Prey dying.. that is a loss to be reckoned with to be sure.

Hi Beverly!

I'm sorta right in the middle of all of those places. I just got into birding this summer so I spent all my free time in the yard getting started on wildlife-friendly gardening. Once the Spring returns I'll definitely be visiting Jasper-Pulaski and the Dunes.

I live in central Arkansas and was in Pennsylvania most of last year taking care of my father. While in PA I heard of birds dying in Hershey Park Nature Center, but didn't hear too much about it otherwise. When I got back to Arkansas there wasn't much at all in the news. I don't think we had any cases confirmed until the end of the season. I still see quite a few crows around and thankfully the Blue Jays seem to be OK so far. As everyone has said, they expect next year to be worse. Hopefully they'll be wrong.

Donna

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back